The importance of Wembley 1999

Yeah but we could be at maine road playing fleetwood with billy kee our top scorer and uwe as our manager, this site would have 300 members and wouldn't have atspheres shit, empty seats and I cannot get a ticket on my loyalty points threads then.
Also all the 4025 left going after 30yrs in 3rd division would still be the best fans in the world.
;-)

Thinking about it thank fuck we won.
arrived on the saturday and left on the monday, one of the best weekends in my lifetime, stayed to the end with my brother while some mates left to go at 0-2 and they were halfway down the concourse when we scored the first and came back.
Yeah but we could be at maine road playing fleetwood with billy kee our top scorer and uwe as our manager, this site would have 300 members and wouldn't have atspheres shit, empty seats and I cannot get a ticket on my loyalty points threads then.
Also all the 4025 left going after 30yrs in 3rd division would still be the best fans in the world.
;-)

going off some of the posters in the match day thread/ facebook we still are

Think of the players in the team then, many thinking "I didn't join to be a sideshow in Division 3" and now have a career off the back of it. No way would Goater be in Sky Sports news if it wasn't for that game. I've never felt more confident of a win at any time since once we'd equalised.
It's ironic that for all their subsequent success, our nadir went under the radar because of the Rags treble, but this was their pinnacle and actually the start of our ascent and of us eclipsing them. They've still a long way to fall mind.
Felt nothing like that at the time though.

Same year Bighton finished 17th in the division below.only 7 points clear of falling out of football league. Also they ever homeless I think goldstone ground had been sold......so don't want to rain on city folklore , but possibly nowhere near as important as some think.
Definitely far more important if true, didn't the Sheik enquire about Everton and Newcastle only to be told NO.

Same year Bighton finished 17th in the division below.only 7 points clear of falling out of football league. Also they ever homeless I think goldstone ground had been sold......so don't want to rain on city folklore , but possibly nowhere near as important as some think

What on earth are you talking about?

Probably the 2nd most important game in City history over the last 30 years.
The most important being the 1-0 away win at Newcastle under Stuart Pearce with a stunning goal from Mpenza
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/6491079.stm
That win gave us the confidence to keep us up and if we had gone down there would have been No Shinawatra takeover and no Sheikh Mansour take over after that.

That Brighton were in a far worse position than city . Even if city had lost.
If you glance at the premier league table they are now there.....?
May be Wembley was not that important ?

What are YOU talking about ?

PMSL

That has absolutely no relevance to this discussion at all.

In fact City had dropped far lower than their expected/historic level than Brighton had, and at a time when our main rivals were going through their best ever period as well.

I was 15 at the time but I don't remember much of the game; I think the trauma and emotion of what happened at the end just wiped my memory.

Excitement before the game had been huge. My best mate, our dads and I traveled up from Bedford for the semi-final on a school night; got our photo in the MEN when invading the pitch and skipped school the next day because we were both knackered.

That all got us buzzing for the final but up until the Dickov goal it hadn't been the most enjoyable day. The traffic was bad and the weather was pretty gloomy. Our seats were on the half-way line but for some reason we were directed into the gate on the other side of the pitch and then made to walk all the way around inside...through the Gillingham half. Not the nicest fans; they all looked like Vinny Jones from Lock Stock and we were goaded, shoved, scarves pulled at.

Survived that gauntlet and the only things I remember from the game was the gut-wrenching feeling of their second goal, not bothering to celebrate Horlock's and then just pandemonium at the equaliser. Extra time flew by and, as others have said, I've never felt more sure that we would win a game as I did after that goal.

Best day as City supporter, without a doubt.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.