The importance of Wembley 1999

Same year Bighton finished 17th in the division below.only 7 points clear of falling out of football league. Also they ever homeless I think goldstone ground had been sold......so don't want to rain on city folklore , but possibly nowhere near as important as some think.
Definitely far more important if true, didn't the Sheik enquire about Everton and Newcastle only to be told NO.

Our playoff wouldn't be important, well not to a brighron fan it wouldn't be, but then I am sure the hereford game that season would be.

If you are talking the grand scheme of things football wise then no this game was just another play off.

But we are talking it's importance to blues and what could have happened to us and our club, brightons then predicament is not relevant to this thread as we have never experienced it.

A major moment in our history and pivitol to what came after? Yes
A major moment that will be remembered by other fans? no

But we ain't other fans so this mattered and was as important as Yayas goal at newcastle, Shaun Goater, and strikes from Mark Kennedy, Paul Dickov and a Christian Dailly own goal at blackburn, Agueroooooo
etc that all had a part in what we are now.

Last edited:
Can't help but remember how amazing the day was but I don't think it was quite the catalyst for change everyone thinks of because you can't ignore what happened between the takeover and that time.

We became a yoyo club in that period, going down with Royle and then back up again with Keegan into a tricky period where we were lucky not to go down again...

That season in Division 1 with Keegan was probably the only really good thing between Gillingham 99 and the takeover in 08.

Can't help but remember how amazing the day was but I don't think it was quite the catalyst for change everyone thinks of because you can't ignore what happened between the takeover and that time.

We became a yoyo club in that period, going down with Royle and then back up again with Keegan into a tricky period where we were lucky not to go down again...

That season in Division 1 with Keegan was probably the only really good thing between Gillingham 99 and the takeover in 08.

You are forgetting benjanis debut, ;-) that day made me smile

Like the OP I was younger at the time (9) and didn’t quite understand the magnitude of our situation but being at Wembley and the sheer emotion of the Wigan game really built the game up for me. At 2-0 down I was crying my eyes out, my dad wanted to leave but I insisted we stay and I am so glad we did. If it wasn’t for Aguero the Dickov celebrations would be he single greatest moment in my city supporting career. Aguero shades it now because it is more recent and raw. Both equally important for very different reasons. I do wonder how crazy we must have looked from the Gillingham fans end.

Probably the 2nd most important game in City history over the last 30 years.
The most important being the 1-0 away win at Newcastle under Stuart Pearce with a stunning goal from Mpenza
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/6491079.stm
That win gave us the confidence to keep us up and if we had gone down there would have been No Shinawatra takeover and no Sheikh Mansour take over after that.

I liked this bit:
When City win the European Cup in twenty years’ time ;), I’m going tell my children, I was there at Wembley when they won promotion to the First Division in the most dramatic of matches.

He might have been onto something there...

More than 2012, its the day that binds us all together. I've never been able to truly explain to any non-Blue how I felt during and after that game.Rooted to my seat in the Olympic gallery, watching as some City fans left before the hand, I couldn't move, it wasn't just another year in that god forsaken division that loomed, it was another 25 years of being dumped on by everyone else. It was a watershed.

Perhaps more poignant than comparing to Brighton, what about the team that was then lauded as the 2nd team in Manchester at the time, Stockport.......
Where are they now? That could so very nearly be our position now without this result

At Preston in the pre season friendly after the play off I was talking to Bernstein and he told me that if we had lost at Wembley we would have gone bust.

I was there. What a day. Agree with all the posts in here. This was a pivotal moment in our history and as others have said more important than our first premier league win.
I remember the day well. I think Didsbury Dave expressed it well, the back drop to the game, the emotions and the importance etc. Being a blue you just know the feelings, you can't make it up. When the seconds Gills goal went in I remember going into a mad rage, realising how bad things were going to get, I actually smashed one of those wooden wembley seats. My mate ran out and gave up. As a final gesture I took my City shirt off and thew it down the terraces into the crowd. I was done, given up. Then Horlock scored and made it worse, it's the hope that kills you. So no top, and a trip back home freezing to death ,and still in Div 2. Some dude then threw my top back, shouting don't give up, we can can still do it. Well we all know the rest! What a day, what a trip home. Only MCFC can do this to you.... (Cue same feelings for our Augreo moment, only I kept my shirt on this time!

Great reading these posts of that day, as I've posted before I managed to fuck up big style.

Didn't go to York away but at that point decided on the back of the defeat to book a holiday to cheer myself and the even then long suffering Mrs Moon up.

Consequently I was in Tunisia for the play-off it was on Sky Sports 2 however, SS2 wasn't available over there....I must have been almost the last person who cared to find out the result. Everyone who was bothered that I knew was at Wembley.....

I do think we'd have never recovered from a loss that day, certainly not to where we are now. Just think we're favourites at present to win the league, league cup, fa cup and cl.

You just couldn't write this shit and get away with it. ;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.