How many players short of the perfect squad

The trouble is there's a limit on how many truly high quality players you can have in a squad, because some will get limited game time, even with rotation. No club, however wealthy, could have 25 first teamers, so realistically, maybe 16 or so? Likewise, second choice keepers are never that good because if they are then they want to play. It's not an easy balance.

This isn't the transfer rumours thread.

I read the title - How many players for the perfect squad.

Couldn’t be bothered doing the whole squad so i just added 2 players that i think would make us the world’s best 11.

We obviously won’t be able to buy them both.

Really intrigued by Harry Kane GX...

Imagine the golden boy forcing his way out to join City...the media :-)

Give me your version/vision of your 6. With you btw.
Actually, it's 5 because we now have Laporte.

1. A dedicated LB (albeit Delph & Zinchenko might change that)

2. Another PL/CL match ready CB as I think we need to move on from Kompany.

3. An eventual DM cover/replacement for Fernandinho.

4. A LW cover/replacement for Sane

5. A RW cover/replacement for Sterling.

If we can get top class cover/replacements in those positions, we'll be ready to roll. However I can't see this happening before season 2019-2020, and by then I assume we'd be looking to replace Silva, Fernandinho, & possibly Aguero.

This is when I think we'll be in the market for £100m+ marquee signings to add a sprinkle of stardust to our squad. BUT if we're doing fine without, I wouldn't want the likes of Neymar coming in to upset our dressing room with his Billy Big Bollocks rubbish!

Can't let the squad get too big. If Nmecha has genuinely been promoted and you include Muric then we have a 26 man senior squad now.

Goalkeepers (3)
Ederson
Claudio Bravo
Arijanet Muric

Defenders (9)
Nicolas Otamendi
John Stones
Aymeric Laporte
Vincent Kompany
Tosin Adarabioyo

Kyle Walker
Danilo

Benjamin Mendy
Fabian Delph

Midfielders (7)
Kevin De Bruyne
David Silva
Ilkay Gundogan
Oleksandr Zinchenko
Phil Foden

Fernandinho
Yaya Touré

Forwards (6)
Sergio Aguero
Gabriel Jesus
Lukas Nmecha

Raheem Sterling
Bernardo Silva
Leroy Sané
Brahim Díaz

In my opinion that's one too many defenders, one too many midfielders and the right amount of forwards but not necessarily the right selection of forwards.

In the summer I imagine five of those players will move on, either permanently or on loan:

Lukas Nmecha
Tosin Adarabioyo
Yaya Touré
Claudio Bravo
Brahim Díaz

That brings us down to twenty-one. I think the ideal squad size is around twenty-four, making room for three summer signings- assuming, of course, that nobody comes back from loan and goes into the first team. Remember that Laporte is essentially a summer signing done early.

Assuming the players that are listed above do leave, I would say we need another defensive-minded organising midfielder (a pivot), another forward (who can ideally play across the front line but must be able to play centrally as a minimum), and a left-back (who won't mind being back-up to Mendy).

Left-back is an interesting position because if we get one, do we need Delph? Do we need Zinchenko? As much as I want both to stay, where do they fit in? I have a feeling the club will sell Zinchenko in order to get Foden more gametime in midfield.

I'm with Pep...if nobody unexpected leaves then just 2.

Midfielder

Striker

and it would seem these are already identified as Fred and Mahrez which are great.

Though if it were my choice I would go Fabinho and Fekir.

I do think our current squad is the best ever if we can stop being injured.

Last edited:
Not too many.

A new back-up keeper, preferably Gunn.

A top quality replacement for Sergio.

A holding midfielder for Fernandinho

Sell Danilo and bring Maffeo back.

A wide right attacker.

So if Aguero stays just sign a Midfielder and an attacker as we tried to do in this window.

Do you think we will go back for Fred and Mahrez or move On?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.