Vincent Kompany - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
All 3 guys can't hold a candle to him when he's at his very best.

I don't think we'll ever see him that good again, but I'm praying he remains fit enough to play a regular part.

I’ve been Vinny’s biggest fan and it pains me to say it but he did looks out of his depth (in our team) playing against Cardiff.

Everybody else was dynamic and progressive, whereas he was ponderous and cautious.

All of the above is understandable given his history with injuries - I’m just saying that it was quite apparent that they’ve take their toll on his abilities.

You could see in his body language that even he felt that the team was evolving without him. It was quite sad to watch.
I also was saying this to my missus (and her very Swiss mum who doesn’t watch football, whom we were visiting) as we took in the match. He looked a shadow of himself, losing far more aerial battles than I ever thought possible, looking apprehensive in possession, and, most worryingly, jogging about, even when we were collapsing as a team to defend a counter.

That last bit happened several times to the point that I actually started trying to just watch his movement to see if he was trying to hide another injury he picked up so Pep wouldn’t take him off. The Swiss mum even noticed the difference between him and everyone else.

Pep did end up speaking with him on several occasions and one of them seemed to be telling him to be a bit more responsive when Cardiff rushed forward.

He’ll always be a legend (and one of our greatest captains) in my eyes but it is sad to see time and injuries take the toll they have—much more disappointing than even Yaya, for obvious reasons.

Still, he is a very intelligent and astute person (fairly rare for a footballer these days) and has a bright future beyond his playing days, so I am not that worried.

I also was saying this to my missus (and her very Swiss mum who doesn’t watch football, whom we were visiting) as we took in the match. He looked a shadow of himself, losing far more aerial battles than I ever thought possible, looking apprehensive in possession, and, most worryingly, jogging about, even when we were collapsing as a team to defend a counter.

That last bit happened several times to the point that I actually started trying to just watch his movement to see if he was trying to hide another injury he picked up so Pep wouldn’t take him off. The Swiss mum even noticed the difference between him and everyone else.

Pep did end up speaking with him on several occasions and one of them seemed to be telling him to be a bit more responsive when Cardiff rushed forward.

He’ll always be a legend (and one of our greatest captains) in my eyes but it is sad to see time and injuries take the toll they have—much more disappointing than even Yaya, for obvious reasons.

Still, he is a very intelligent and astute person (fairly rare for a footballer these days) and has a bright future beyond his playing days, so I am not that worried.

I agree with some of that but I think you are over egging it a bit.

He did look less than his imperious self & he was less dominant in the air than you would expect, but when things did go wrong, he was often, more than any of the others, the bloke who came in & made the most important challenge.

To me, it looks like he/they are trying something different with his training & he has come back lighter & less muscular, which may account for some of it.

I agree with some of that but I think you are over egging it a bit.

He did look less than his imperious self & he was less dominant in the air than you would expect, but when things did go wrong, he was often, more than any of the others, the bloke who came in & made the most important challenge.

To me, it looks like he/they are trying something different with his training & he has come back lighter & less muscular, which may account for some of it.
I noticed he was leaner, as well. Though, at least as yet, it doesn’t seem to have improved his overall pace or energy on the pitch (which, along with helping reduce the likelihood of injury, I imagine is one of the main targeted outcomes, as it will extend his playing career).

I can’t say I thought he was the one making the more important challenge (Otamendi was that man for me) but I do hope for his and our sake that your assessment turns out to be the correct one.

As I said, regardless, unlike many footballers, I believe he will be just fine when he hangs up his boots, so overall I am not worried. I am very much hoping he stays at the club when he does.

I think he may retire actually looks a shadow of his former self albeit that is better than most. I wondered if he was waiting to see if he is fit enough to be picked in Belgium’s squad. Given his comments in the last few days he is finished at the top and knows that. I think he would be too proud to sit around being a bit part player. He has an MBA I think he may well stay at the club in a development/ business role. Any way good luck Vinnie whatever happens.

Walker was getting visibly upset with him near the end of the game. Clueless with the ball.

It's sad to say, but he shouldn't be playing anything other than league cups. His lack of confidence playing out of the back is completely different from the other 3 centerbacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.