Playing out from the back (The 'Ederson' Factor)

If it was good enough for Stuart Pearce its good enough for Pep!
spurs.jpg

Those stating he will utterly transform the way goalkeeping is played are overstating things a little. In the nicest possible way, he’s a freak. In 160 years or so of organised football I doubt there’s been more than a handful of players who can perform both a goalkeeping and an outfield role with such dexterity. The principal constraint that will be made on that claim is the limit that other goalkeepers’ passing (range and quality) will place on their ability to emulate Eddy.

Since the backpass law was introduced around a quarter of a century ago, ‘keepers have got better with their feet by necessity, but it hasn’t precipated a glut of goalies who are sublime passers, quite simply because the requisite talent isn’t there. If it was, it would have manifested itself, for reasons of its obvious advantage to their teams, without any discernible drawbacks. I simply can’t see any disadvantage to a ‘keeper being good with his feet in the modern game. As such, if that passing ability was present among ‘keepers over the last 25 years, then it would have revealed itself and we wouldn’t be remarking so effusively about Ederson.

He is an abnormal talent and as such efforts to fully replicate his game are almost certainly bound to fail. The advantage this will give us over the next few years cannot be overstated.

This was Peps plan with Bravo in goal last season , the only thing Pep got wrong was he thought he needed an experienced keeper who could play that way, when in reality he needed a relatively inexperienced keeper who could play without fear and grow into the role .
With Bravo he often passes wide to the
fullbacks in the corners, which can incite pressure. I think Ederson sees passes further forward and he’s vital to our build up. He deserves to be in the team of the season for what he’s doing plus he comes up with huge saves like in the Derby.

Those stating he will utterly transform the way goalkeeping is played are overstating things a little. In the nicest possible way, he’s a freak. In 160 years or so of organised football I doubt there’s been more than a handful of players who can perform both a goalkeeping and an outfield role with such dexterity. The principal constraint that will be made on that claim is the limit that other goalkeepers’ passing (range and quality) will place on their ability to emulate Eddy.

Since the backpass law was introduced around a quarter of a century ago, ‘keepers have got better with their feet by necessity, but it hasn’t precipated a glut of goalies who are sublime passers, quite simply because the requisite talent isn’t there. If it was, it would have manifested itself, for reasons of its obvious advantage to their teams, without any discernible drawbacks. I simply can’t see any disadvantage to a ‘keeper being good with his feet in the modern game. As such, if that passing ability was present among ‘keepers over the last 25 years, then it would have revealed itself and we wouldn’t be remarking so effusively about Ederson.

He is an abnormal talent and as such efforts to fully replicate his game are almost certainly bound to fail. The advantage this will give us over the next few years cannot be overstated.
I disagree. You simply asked all keepers to do it from a young age.

Agree totally, he's just a freak of nature, for all our wonderful football this season watching Eddie has absolutely blown me away, he also has ice in his veins and his vision is incredible, it's like having KDB in goal :)

Thing is it started last season as soon as Bravo had limited success with his distribution you could see other keepers begin to try to do the same, now is it as said above due to our pressure and highline or keepers thinking they are better than they are! Cech is appalling at it but still persists in trying it, Kasper was completely schooled by Ederson yesterday. I cannot believe that a manager would seriously try that style of football with the players they have available to them , it's taken us nearly half a billion to be able to play like that from the back, so what hope do keepers like cech and Kasper have at the stages they are in their careers?

One thing has just occurred (although it may have previously been ventilated): when does the season officially start?

If it’s the Charity Shield then he (just) qualifies for the Young Player of the Year. If it’s the first Premier League game (and our first competitive game) then he does not.

I'd agree with this, his long passing and vision alone are better than that of many, many midfielders who will have spent their entire lives working on them, day in, day out. There's no reason to believe any young goalkeeper will be able to do what he does purely because they're encouraged to. You can coach them to improve on their short passing and first touch/close control but natural ability and intelligence are things you scout for, not coach.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.