FC Basel (a) pre-match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Danilo to start. Otamendi should be rested, started the last 7 matches. Stones needs game time also.

I think we’ll see either Stones & Laporte or Stones & Kompany start together.

Basel are not exactly in the best moment. Two points behind Young Boys in the league having played a game more. Also lost at home last Sunday 1-0 to Lugano.

Basel sold two of their starters in January. A CB to B. Dortmund for £19m and a midfielder to Wolfsburg for £1.6m.

Still, this is the CL so won’t be easy but I’m expecting a comfortable win anyway.
I don’t think he’d have come off yesterday if he was going to be rested. You can’t rest your best in form cb in a champs league match surely? Especially with the game cup at the weekend. Rest him then don’t you think?

We should win this tie comfortably...so we'll obviously win it on penalties in the returning leg.

Also, IIRC Basel sold their best player to Dortmund this Jan.

I don’t think he’d have come off yesterday if he was going to be rested. You can’t rest your best in form cb in a champs league match surely? Especially with the game cup at the weekend. Rest him then don’t you think?

Yes but now that we have Laporte or Kompany even though he didn’t play well in his last game, “resting” Otamendi should not effect us as much. Stones and Kompany both need game time, if that wasn’t the case I would say start Otamendi, that’s the main reason I would leave him out.

Yep! Think that’s one problem area that we’ve nailed now :)))

Pep recognised the problems in the summer , goalkeeper , full backs , centre back cover and he sorted them out , hard to see players like Joe and Zabba leave the club , and maybe Vinny and Yaya will be gone from the playing squad very soon as well , Pep makes the tough decisions but the right ones , we have a managerial genius in our midst.

Playing CL gives players great exposure.
It is greatest tournament in club football.
Playing in it can be treated as reward for playing well and is reserved
for most important players in the team.

There is no way we will rest our best players in this game.

My random guess is that Pep will go 3-5-2 on Tuesday, just have a sneaky feeling he will think it’s a game worth keeping tight.

Ederson

Nico
Stones
Laporte

Walker
Dinho
Kev
Merlin
Danilo

Serg
Raz

Reckon Danilo for Zinchenko will be the only change.

I wouldn't do that, Zinchenko is so comfortable on the ball at the back compared to "jumpy" Danilo (yesterday proved it for me when he and Laporte we're playing hot potato)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.