Phil Foden - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watched the highlights on the OS and love that picture of Foden with his arms wrapped around Sergio after the 5th goal. He's a 17 year old local lad who is not only on the same pitch as Sergio he is passing to him for a goal. He must be in heaven.

Every fans dream.

Just watched the highlights on the OS and love that picture of Foden with his arms wrapped around Sergio after the 5th goal. He's a 17 year old local lad who is not only on the same pitch as Sergio he is passing to him for a goal. He must be in heaven.

Best angle is the one that has a bewildered Ndidi in the background.

Good guess! According to the xG website, it was 98% Aguero - Foden got credited with 0.02 expected assists for that pass.

xG isn't perfect though as it assumes the chance has been created. Foden deserves credit for creating the chance (and possibly space for Kun).

When Sergio signed he'd have been 10 or 11 years old!

xG isn't perfect though as it assumes the chance has been created. Foden deserves credit for creating the chance (and possibly space for Kun).
xG is far from perfect, and I share the feeling that Foden did well to keep the ball under pressure before passing to Aguero. However, I've always thought that assists is an extremely approximate measure of chances created, since a sideways pass at the top of the box followed by a worldy finish gets as much credit as beating three players in the box and then passing sideways for an open goal tap in. xA (expected assists) does a much better job of measuring the quality of the chance you've created for another player, irrespective of their finishing. So I think Foden did well, but turning that into a goal was almost all down to Aguero.

xG is far from perfect, and I share the feeling that Foden did well to keep the ball under pressure before passing to Aguero. However, I've always thought that assists is an extremely approximate measure of chances created, since a sideways pass at the top of the box followed by a worldy finish gets as much credit as beating three players in the box and then passing sideways for an open goal tap in. xA (expected assists) does a much better job of measuring the quality of the chance you've created for another player, irrespective of their finishing. So I think Foden did well, but turning that into a goal was almost all down to Aguero.
The same applies to goals statistically. Aguero gets the same statistical reward for the 4th goal as he did his 1st.

I've only looked into this for a few minutes, but if we were to win the treble, and he played the 5+ games needed to get a Premier League medal, Foden would become the youngest player ever to win a treble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.