Playing out from the back (The 'Ederson' Factor)

If any keeper wants to imitate Eddy , they first have to get a smiley emoji tattooed on the neck . Than maybe just maybe.

Agree totally, he's just a freak of nature, for all our wonderful football this season watching Eddie has absolutely blown me away, he also has ice in his veins and his vision is incredible, it's like having KDB in goal :)
The reason he is as good as he is with his feet is that apparently he started off as a fullback and then decided he wanted to become a keeper for whatever reason. That is a reason you won't get many more keepers with his footballing ability, most players who are any good with their feet want to be playing in an outfield position, not stuck in goal.

I think a decent number of teams (including us) were playing it out from the back before Pep arrived. It's just that we do it more and so much better than everyone else.
We were playing out from the back under Sven. That was before Guardiola became first team coach at Barça

The reason he is as good as he is with his feet is that apparently he started off as a fullback and then decided he wanted to become a keeper for whatever reason. That is a reason you won't get many more keepers with his footballing ability, most players who are any good with their feet want to be playing in an outfield position, not stuck in goal.
For a lot of people it’s not being “stuck” in goal. Goalkeepers see themselves as important as the strikers and have an ego/madness to boot

The problem is that many managers/coaches are unwilling to embrace change. They've always encouraged their keepers to just hoof the ball up the other end and hope for the best, and they see no reason to change the habits instilled into them by their own managers back in the day.

You watch any English game from the last 20-30 years and (apart from the dreadful fashion sense and awful hairstyles) not a lot has changed. The keeper gets the ball, bounces it in his 6-yard box a couple of times and then...HOOF, as far and as high as he can physically manage.
Watching the way Pep has us using the ball, Eddy playing out from the back, it sometimes seems like we are playing a different sport to that of teams managed by the likes of Allardyce and Pulis.

For a lot of people it’s not being “stuck” in goal. Goalkeepers see themselves as important as the strikers and have an ego/madness to boot
That just emphasises my point.
I have the utmost respect for the keepers position.
What I'm saying is that it takes a different mindset and dedication to be a goalkeeper than an outfield player. Most players who think they are any good with their feet won't want to he playing in goal where they feel they have a minimal opportunity to use their talent. That is why I think that most players who play in goal won't be as good with their feet as Ederson is.
Hope this helps.

The problem is that many managers/coaches are unwilling to embrace change. They've always encouraged their keepers to just hoof the ball up the other end and hope for the best, and they see no reason to change the habits instilled into them by their own managers back in the day.

You watch any English game from the last 20-30 years and (apart from the dreadful fashion sense and awful hairstyles) not a lot has changed. The keeper gets the ball, bounces it in his 6-yard box a couple of times and then...HOOF, as far and as high as he can physically manage.
Watching the way Pep has us using the ball, Eddy playing out from the back, it sometimes seems like we are playing a different sport to that of teams managed by the likes of Allardyce and Pulis.
It's a question of trust and faith in the abilities of your fullbacks and DM's. Most managers just want that ball as faraway from their penalty box as possible rather than risk losing possession in a vulnerable area of the pitch.

That just emphasises my point.
I have the utmost respect for the keepers position.
What I'm saying is that it takes a different mindset and dedication to be a goalkeeper than an outfield player. Most players who think they are any good with their feet won't want to he playing in goal where they feel they have a minimal opportunity to use their talent. That is why I think that most players who play in goal won't be as good with their feet as Ederson is.
Hope this helps.
Ah yes I see what you mean

It's a question of trust and faith in the abilities of your fullbacks and DM's. Most managers just want that ball as faraway from their penalty box as possible rather than risk losing possession in a vulnerable area of the pitch.
I always say it’s like the difference between rugby league and rugby union.

In Union the ball is in play for an average of 30% of the game. There are many instances in the game where players are stood around for minutes at a time. In rucks it can go on for twenty phases of fat forwards running two metres from the last one. When a team gets the ball near their own line they hoof it as far up field as possible to get the ball as far away from their own in-goal as possible.

In League the ball is in play an average of 72% of the game (that’s more than football). There are something like nine times as many passes compared to Union. There are very few instances where everyone is stood around doing nothing for ages. When a team gets the ball near their own line they play it out from the back and take it forward with passing rather than by hoofing it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.