Playing out from the back (The 'Ederson' Factor)

In defence of goalkeepers (I am one), many of us are not shit footballers who can't pass. You need a system that suits to make use of this though. Which is what Pep has done. His whole philosophy is about stretching the pitch. If you play saturday and sunday football though the centrebacks play about as far apart from each other as Jedward, so the threaded ball to the midfield isn't on.

Fantastic, skilful player Eddy tho. All looks completely natural and not contrived like Neuer.

In defence of goalkeepers (I am one), many of us are not shit footballers who can't pass. You need a system that suits to make use of this though. Which is what Pep has done. His whole philosophy is about stretching the pitch. If you play saturday and sunday football though the centrebacks play about as far apart from each other as Jedward, so the threaded ball to the midfield isn't on.

Fantastic, skilful player Eddy tho. All looks completely natural and not contrived like Neuer.
Finding it very hard to imagine a penguin in goal...

I always say it’s like the difference between rugby league and rugby union.

In Union the ball is in play for an average of 30% of the game. There are many instances in the game where players are stood around for minutes at a time. In rucks it can go on for twenty phases of fat forwards running two metres from the last one. When a team gets the ball near their own line they hoof it as far up field as possible to get the ball as far away from their own in-goal as possible.

In League the ball is in play an average of 72% of the game (that’s more than football). There are something like nine times as many passes compared to Union. There are very few instances where everyone is stood around doing nothing for ages. When a team gets the ball near their own line they play it out from the back and take it forward with passing rather than by hoofing it.

As a League follower , I like your analogy.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.