Paedophilia within the game/City launch redress scheme

All the clubs involved will be prepared for this. Their insurers and the clubs will have a process in place to help the victims.

The only thing that can be done is to apologise, show that systems are in place so it can never happen again, pay compensation and continue to offer support to the victims. I am sure all the clubs involved will do this.

PS - Yes, if anyone still around would know what happened at City, it would be Bernard. He'll have signed off payments and made admin arrangements for any affiliated clubs for which we provided support. But the records probably don't survive and recollections of 35 years ago may be sketchy.

PPS - There's a screen shot doing the rounds of a 'page not found' message on the City site which was claimed to be evidence that a statement was posted and hastily deleted. Presumably, if it's genuine, when someone realised that not all the verdicts have yet been handed down.

Regardless of whether or not we're run by the same people anymore we literally ARE the same club. If it does indeed transpire that in the past, employees of the club turned a blind eye to child abuse, then I don't think the club will put up any form of defence. I'm sure they will express their horror at what has happened and demonstrate that the current regime has safeguards in place (i think we already did our own investigation into it), but they will still accept any punishment (which is the correct course of action in my opinion). There has to be recourse to hold an organisation accountable for this kind of thing no matter how long ago it was.

Seems there's a few people in here who are more bothered about how this reflects on City rather than what those boys were subjected to. I think there's a very good chance people at City knew about Bennell and their failure to act allowed more boys to be raped and abused. Sorry if it's hard for City fans to hear, but our own discomfort at hearing those truths is totally irrelevant when compared to what the victims have been through. Any sensible person should be able to see that it shouldn't necessarily reflect on those involved with the club now, but that doesn't mean we should try to bat these claims away to protect the club's reputation (which is precisely what people did 30 years ago).

Should also add, as someone else has pointed out, that whilst I think employees at City were probably aware, it's also likely it was endemic through the game and ignored at all levels. So whilst I have no issue with City being taken to task over this, I also expect other organisations to be also held to account and all of them should accept any punishment coming their way.
Brilliant post

Gary Speed committed suicide (said to have been abused by Bennell)...Tommy Caton had a drink problem, though he died of a heart attack...coincidence??

Most media outlets seem to be waiting for the rest of the verdicts before running such stories, but the Mail today has a long piece about Bennell. Includes some detail of how "one his accusers, Chris Unsworth, told the court that Bennell preyed on him after he was scouted for Manchester City as a junior and the abuse began 'straight away' after the defendant started giving him lifts to the club's then Platt Lane training ground."

Link here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5380925/How-football-coach-Barry-Bennell-groomed-abused-boys.html#ixzz573yam2FZ

Gary Speed committed suicide (said to have been abused by Bennell)...Tommy Caton had a drink problem, though he died of a heart attack...coincidence??
I didnt like that headline and my view on it is that witness who mentioned Speed being abused should not have. That disclosure was not his to make really. Im sure Speed's family woukd have been aware of any issues but it was for them to mention really. It was said more in a speculative way by that witness, and I dont think that is right. There was an inquest held in which it wasnt raised as an issue. That was the correct forum in which that witness could have raised this. As I recall it, no mention was made to the coroner and his wife did not raise it either.

All I say on this, is that a couple of years ago I reported a referee (who referees ages 8-16) to the FA for some very questionable behavior and they swept it all under the carpet.

If that's been their approach in the past, then I dread to think how many cases are going to emerge.

Bennell found guilty of three more of the charges, acccording to Daniel Taylor:

If we're going to be picky, he means 'verdicts' and not 'pleas'.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.