The Hindsight Transfer Thread

I think the Hazard one was a decision not to pay his agent rather than just his decision.
Whereas the result of getting Demichelis rather than Alderweireld ( we actually paid about £3.5M) might be unfortunate I don't think it was a brain fart necessarily we wanted a cheap experienced back up who could fill in, we still had Nastasic, Kompany and Lescott. As it was Demichelis played very well and helped us to the title Alderweireld was still learning and ended up being loaned out though he turned out very well just not for Athletico.
Fair enough.

Albeit I remembered arguing we should have just gone for Alderweireld instead of paying for Demichelis. Even though I was a fan of Demi

Tricky one to predict as we would still would of had to juggle with the wage bill and would of still kept an eye on squad harmony.

An alternative 11 of players we had genuine interest in but never signed (who are currently playing at a decent level)

Pickford
Vrsaljko
Alderweireld
Benatia
Alex Sandro
Weigl
Rakitic
Isco
Sanchez
Dybala
Hazard

Looka like a Fifa fan-boy’s wet dream but I’d still take our current squad over this one.

I think from the "pinch" summer when we were FFP limited to about 40k and got Mangala + Fernando for that, literally ANY other conceivable target would have probably been better.

Benatia as the CB would be the obvious shout there, as he was heavily linked and we did have a need for one. Or could have kept Nastasic, maybe and strengthened elsewhere (maybe there you get Dybala - there was some talk of him that summer - with the added bonus of eliminating the subsequent panic buy of Bony the next winter when we had no strikers fit)

Not a huge fan of hindsight for much of anything, TBH. Only when something seems quite stupid at the time do I get bothered at the relevant decision-maker's actions. ie Mangala had all the big clubs after him and Bony was a Ballon D'Or candidate that year (!?!?!?!?!?!?!)

Let us revisit the 2015/16 summer transfer window:

Kevin De Bruyne
Raheem Sterling
Otamendi
Delph
Roberts

It looks one of our best transfer windows in hindsight.

I think most of the 'realistic' targets we have been linked with & haven't signed, who were willing to come, affordable & didn't involve bribing an agent, are fucking worse then than the biggest mistakes we made.

The ones we really would have benefitted from, were mostly the ones we couldn't have without paying stupid money or bribes.

Where we have fucked up, is spending for the sake of signing someone, when managers keeping the money & 'managing' would have been a better option.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.