US vs UK culture

That’s quite tortured “Cockney Rhyming slang.” Speaking of which, CRS, really? Jalfraag, what is that Brummie for eBay ladies clothing seller?

Born in Torquay, while my Dad was playing for Torquay FC and raised in and around Manc (Macc, Withy, Radcliffe, Mossley). Family all still live there and I have a season ticket (East Stand Level 2). Don’t confuse where I choose to live and work with who I am.

Hope that is enough, or do you need birth certificate and passport picture page?!
You’re a red circle?! ;)

Yep. Driving to flagstaff is pretty surreal. One minute you’re in boiling temperatures, the next you’re seeing snow beside the road.
I did that trip a couple of times last November and was so lucky with the weather, which was sunny and very pleasant although the temperature was only in the mid-50's. It was high 80's in Phoenix, 2 hours to the south. At the Grand Canyon they said it had been snowing that day the previous year.

I remember looking at a menu there and saying "Is there anything that doesn't involve cheese?". And I think that was in a Cornish Pasty restaurant.
I’ve taken to simply saying “no cheese of any kind on that, thank you!” Half the time, they look at me like I’m an idiot, because there was no cheese listed on the menu or it doesn’t come with cheese. The other half, I save myself the time and trouble of returning the food for a plate without cheese...as was listed on the menu!!

Makes life a whole lot easier! Cheese seems to be considered a garnish or condiment in many places. In the airplane, cheese is on almost everything, because it melts and adds moisture to meals that are essentially precooked and being reheated! I have to order special meals, just to try to avoid it, and even then it doesn’t always work!

1) There are far more safe streets in America than the UK.
2) Your “Free” NHS is paid for by someone. Maybe you’re on the dole and it’s not you, so maybe it is free to you. However, in general, taxes pay for govt services, you just don’t the bill every month as a line item.

Hope that helps? Doubt it. Everyone has quickly run to their corners Andy appears desperate to defend them at any cost.

FWIW, there are multiple aspects of culture in the US that are FAR superior to the UK, but then the reverse is absolutely true, too!
My point about the NHS was you said it wasn't good value, but that is plainly not true. Ask its customers, the vast majority are happy. And thank you for pointing out how it's funded - always did wonder!*

For your other point, what you are saying (originally) is that when our pubs/clubs close, nearly ALL our streets are more dangerous than nearly ALL yours. I just don't know where to begin with that.

*sarcasm

I know that people in London particularly like tea and since I am basically from Calcutta where everyone loves tea, I think that would be a good place to start. I hardly find Americans having tea at Cafes.

The entire country likes tea, probably northern England the most of all.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.