Anti depressants..

Yeah my psychiatrist used the term California Rocket Fuel. I'm tempted to stop taking Mirtazapine as the weight gain is becoming a real problem.
I'm not sure my improvement is down to the meds at all. Maybe it was just placebo.

A few years back I was Mirtazapine and I've never eaten so much. I was constantly ravenous and would literally clear the fridge and cupboards. I came off it because taken on its own it wasn't agreeing with me, however with the venlafaxine I've not had the same side effects, just really drowsy and lethargic until lunch time.

I speak as one who went through a very disturbing, torrid time mentally twenty years ago and I've tried nearly all the SSRIs and can confirm several of the posts thus far:
They can and do help massively. They can be the difference between wanting to get out of bed and crawling under the duvet. They can be the crutch you need.
You may need to try several before you find the one for you. Seratonin made me suicidal. Venlafaxin has been a godsend. I've taken one a day for the last 18 years. I know and recognise that I have a chemical imbalance - I have a family history of depression that runs deep (there are long and convoluted arguments about whether you can "inherit" depression - this isn't the time and place for that now though).
Exercise - vital. Get a bike, go and swim, go for a run, join a gym.
Cognitive therapy - brilliant, would highly recommend.
Stay absolutely 100% clear of any recreational drugs.
Read Dorothy Rowe: The Way out of your prison. Fucking great book. Here's a snippet of what she's like:
https://www.theguardian.com/theobserver/2000/dec/10/life1.lifemagazine4

Fully concur what you've posted and like you I come from a family with depression and mental health issues. I've been on medication for nearly 20 years and only recently found a combo that allows me to function with some normality. I hid it up until two years ago when unfortunately I couldn't any more and it spiralled out of control. Like most who suffer depression I've been to some dark places that hopefully I'll never revisit. I've had CBT, which didn't work for me, however I'm now having inter personal psychotherapy, which is basically a way to cope with depression and the effect it has on those closest too you. Sometimes it's easy to forget that loved ones have to deal with the fall out and this has been a godsend. Exercise is vital and even though I very rarely feel like doing it I force myself as it's a mini victory. On a lighter note my psychiatrist also prescribed me Promazine, which is an anti psychotic used to calm your nerves and reduce agitation, If only I'd known about that during the Swales era I'd have saved a fortune on ale and Embassy Number ones.

The meds are a small part of helping you get back on your feet but they are not the cure. I binned the meds off after the first dose as they fucked with my head and made the anxiety worse which i wasnt willing to go through again for another 4 weeks until my body balanced. Started going gym, playing 5 aside, City, meditating and throwing myself into the things i loved. Granted probably took longer to 'heal' but for me it was the best way through it. More importantly never suffeer alone. Chat it out with those you trust and they help you throught. Just found out that a good friend is going through the same stuff so Im there to help him having battled it for a couple of years. Best of luck with it.

My Mrs was on sertraline and IMO made her worse. On good days she was on top of the world. On bad days she was bottom of the ocean. There was never any in between. She's stopped taking them now and is on a course of therapy with a councillor.

She feels better and the lows and highs aren't as dramatic.

Not an expert and this is only an opinion but I think doctors give them out far too readily.

I’ve been taking 20mg of Citalopram for the past 6 months or so.

I seldom feel depressed or anxious anymore but I can’t say for certain if it’s because of citalopram, ritalin, a change of mindset or a combination of the three.

I personally hated sertraline and fluoxetine and mirtazapine merely turned me into a ravenous pig.
Honestly mate try cbt sorted me right out

Cbt helped me a lot but did it in conjunction with Mirtazapine along with a smorgasbord of other pills, they seem to be working so sticking with them.
Cbt is really good, carried on with tablets while on my cbt course, once cbt course finished binned tablets and never looked back

Honestly mate try cbt sorted me right out

I’ve tried cbt on two occasions but unfortunately it was rather pointless for me. It was prior to being diagnosed with autism and ADHD, so it’s not a great surprise that my sessions were mostly elongated awkward silences.

But I don’t doubt that it’s a great option for many individuals who face severe battles with depression, low self-esteem and anxiety.

A healthy lifestyle is certainly something that can make a significant difference to one’s well-being, too.

Exercise - vital. Get a bike, go and swim, go for a run, join a gym.
I was never happier than when working physically and excersizing on the side, and never less happy than when tied to a desk, PC, phone for 38hrs a week. My therapist recommended that I find a job where I was active and on my feet. I wouldn't be surprised if this turned out to be very good advice for a large percentage of people who struggle with anxiety and depression etc.

Having said that, I know it can be difficult. I am currently struggling badly to get going physically, or go outside without a clear destination.
Stay absolutely 100% clear of any recreational drugs.
Dear God, please heed this man's advice. Even if you don't notice any worsening from week to week or month to month, it's easy to accumulate a really nasty problem - again I speak from experience.
Read Dorothy Rowe: The Way out of your prison. Fucking great book. Here's a snippet of what she's like:
https://www.theguardian.com/theobserver/2000/dec/10/life1.lifemagazine4

Also absolutely spot on. I did read it and I must again. Beyond Fear, which deals with mental health in general, is also an eye opener and extremely useful.

Mental health issues on a internet forum is like red rag to a bull, I am on my third course of ad's. Sometimes I think a lobotomy would be the simplest solution. What's that quote from shutter island?

I’ve tried cbt on two occasions but unfortunately it was rather pointless for me. It was prior to being diagnosed with autism and ADHD, so it’s not a great surprise that my sessions were mostly elongated awkward silences.

But I don’t doubt that it’s a great option for many individuals who face severe battles with depression, low self-esteem and anxiety.

A healthy lifestyle is certainly something that can make a significant difference to one’s well-being, too.
Mine were in hulme mate, it was done on a pc on headphones so you could do it at your own pace, I had the option of pc based or with a real person I chose pc based and worked a treat

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.