Sheikh Mansour went to Spain

Esteban de la Sexface

Pellegrini gets a raw deal on here as far as I'm concerned. Why is that? Was he just not a likeable fella? Do people think he piggybacked on mancios success?

I think his first season was breathtaking. His ultimate demise, I think, was being overly loyal to players that stopped doing it and Pep, obviously.

Got us to a champions league semi final where a Gareth Bale fluke knocked us out.

A good manager, and a decent man. What say you?

Pellegrini gets a raw deal on here as far as I'm concerned. Why is that? Was he just not a likeable fella? Do people think he piggybacked on mancios success?

I think his first season was breathtaking. His ultimate demise, I think, was being overly loyal to players that stopped doing it and Pep, obviously.

Got us to a champions league semi final where a Gareth Bale fluke knocked us out.

A good manager, and a decent man. What say you?
Sounds like Karen Brady agrees.

Inherited a good backbone and the fundamentals. Second season that was gone, the football was turd, and his decisions were baffling. Wilfried fucking Bony.

Nice fella, thanks for your time, but now it’s a case of out of sight, out of mind.

Fond memories, but mancini was the real deal, the fa cup and premier league win GODDAMN, crowd was crazy back then

He was always going to be a stopgap, and he played that role in a gentlemanly manner, with some good football along the way. I've nothing particularly negative to add about him, the team lost steam towards the end but thats about it.

Inherited a good backbone and the fundamentals. Second season that was gone, the football was turd, and his decisions were baffling. Wilfried fucking Bony.

Nice fella, thanks for your time, but now it’s a case of out of sight, out of mind.
Second season at New Year we were exactly level with Chelsea at the top of the Prem
I still don't know how we managed to fuck up the rest of that league season

I've nothing but the utmost respect for this man, pains me to hear City fans not giving him the respect he deserves

https://www.coachesvoice.com/the-apprentice/

THE JOURNEY
THE APPRENTICE
Aitor Alcalde/Getty Images for The Coaches' Voice
Manuel Pellegrini

Manchester City, 2013-2016

I have a healthy envy for people who can do things I’m incapable of.

I can’t paint, sing or do any other type of sport, so I admire people who have the knowledge to do those things. And that’s why, in life, I strive to be an apprentice every day.

The key is to try to keep on learning. To be demanding of yourself on a daily basis, to learn new things. I think it’s the only way to survive for as long as I have as a manager. Football has evolved a lot, so I have to evolve as a manager, too.

Over the years, I’ve also had to adapt to the idiosyncrasies of different countries. I started my career at home in Chile, but then I went to Ecuador and Argentina – three entirely different experiences in South America. And after that came the leap to Europe.

To Spain, firstly, where I had many important experiences. Experiences I was able to learn from, and build on.

With Villarreal, it was the hurt of losing to Arsenal in the semi finals of the Champions League. We were better than Arsenal, and I believed strong enough as a group to win the trophy that year.

At Real Madrid, I had the challenge of working in difficult circumstances. Six months before the season even started, I had differences with the chairman over some technical and executive aspects. So it was a tough job, but I left there with great memories of the players, the club and the backroom staff.

And at Malaga I had perhaps the most emotional phase in my life. We had a very troubled first year, in which we were close to going down, but in my second year we ended up qualifying for the Champions League.

The level of football we achieved in that competition was spectacular, taking us all the way to the quarter finals, where we faced Borussia Dortmund.

In the days that we prepared for the return leg in Germany, my father died.

returned to Santiago for the funeral, and landed back in Germany on the day of the match. It was hard. Harder still when we lost, after a truly incomprehensible mistake by the referee in the final minutes. Those were very painful times for everyone.

When we returned to Malaga, though, there were more than 3,000 people waiting for us at the airport. At three in the morning. Days later, the whole La Rosaleda Stadium paid tribute to my father.

The affection I received from the fans was incredibly uplifting.

I look back on my time in Malaga as three wonderful years. Three years when we played an attractive style of football with a team that was unbeaten in its Champions League group, topping it above even Milan.

And, as painful as it was in the end, maybe that final campaign was what allowed me to make it to a team as great as City.

Because by the time they came to look for me, I felt in many ways prepared for a move to England.

The more you know, the more you prepare yourself for any activity. Then, when the right opportunity comes along, you don’t waste it for lack of preparation. You have everything ready so that you succeed.

When Txiki (Begiristain, Manchester City’s director of football) came to speak to me in 2013, it seemed like that right opportunity.

I look back on my time in Malaga as three wonderful years. Three years when we played an attractive style of football with a team that was unbeaten in its Champions League group, topping it above even Milan.

And, as painful as it was in the end, maybe that final campaign was what allowed me to make it to a team as great as City.

Because by the time they came to look for me, I felt in many ways prepared for a move to England.

The more you know, the more you prepare yourself for any activity. Then, when the right opportunity comes along, you don’t waste it for lack of preparation. You have everything ready so that you succeed.

When Txiki (Begiristain, Manchester City’s director of football) came to speak to me in 2013, it seemed like that right opportunity.

That run of games showed just how strong the group was, to win them all and take the Premier League title, having already won the League Cup at Wembley.

It was an amazing year. Unforgettable times in my life as a manager.

Coming into a new league, you might need time to adjust. Luckily, having been in Europe for many years I already had a great understanding. Maybe there were a lot of doubters, but to win the Premier League in that first year – with the ideas I had about football, and then instilling them in the team – was just so satisfying.

I think we were able to combine the very direct style of play in England with possession football. Not exaggerated possession, because you have to respect the idiosyncrasy of the English fans, who like the direct approach – the second ball, the crosses into the box, the finish.

What we had was a mixture of the football I had practised my whole career with something a bit more direct, which the English league requires.

I did make one mistake in my time at City, though.

I said I would end my contract after three years. After that, I said we would see. Not just for me and my career, but because of Ferran and Txiki’s plans to carry on their strategy with Pep Guardiola, who they had worked with at Barcelona for a long time.

There is a lot of trust between those two and myself, so I was always kept in the loop about the plans to try and bring Guardiola to the club. I knew that if he hadn’t wanted to come to City for any reason, they weren’t going to interview for a manager. They would come straight to me.

But I learned something from the experience in my final season. It’s the same in the case of Sir Alex Ferguson. With all the experience and influence he had at Manchester United, he made his first retirement announcement several months early. I think he always described it as a mistake in his career. I also describe mine as a mistake.

Because, as much as you don’t want it to be this way, the group has a tendency to relax. To start thinking about the next step.

That’s why I say that as a manager you have to keep on learning. Carry on reading.

I think we would have won the league in the leicester season had he not announced it. Perhaps Pep didnt want to have to follow that like he did heynckes

A nice guy but unfortunatley for him he came in after the fallout of mancinis sacking as a calming effect which led to us having a great first season under him, we then stalled, the squad aged and players like barry, tevez and edin were gotten rid of earlier than they should, while the replacements were not good enough.(which we only rectified in his final season when we knew he was on his way)

As we all know we were just waiting on Pep amd he would have been gone even if we had won the league im his final year, so will always be seen by some as a temp solution rather than a manager anyone wanted.

A lovely fella, and will be rembered as a trophy winning manager, but his reign is sandwiched inbetween our 2 of our most popular managers.

I respect him and am greatful for his contribution to our success haul

Also poor Rubèn never gets a mention

Last edited:
I've nothing but the utmost respect for this man, pains me to hear City fans not giving him the respect he deserves

https://www.coachesvoice.com/the-apprentice/

THE JOURNEY
THE APPRENTICE
Aitor Alcalde/Getty Images for The Coaches' Voice
Manuel Pellegrini

Manchester City, 2013-2016

I have a healthy envy for people who can do things I’m incapable of.

I can’t paint, sing or do any other type of sport, so I admire people who have the knowledge to do those things. And that’s why, in life, I strive to be an apprentice every day.

The key is to try to keep on learning. To be demanding of yourself on a daily basis, to learn new things. I think it’s the only way to survive for as long as I have as a manager. Football has evolved a lot, so I have to evolve as a manager, too.

Over the years, I’ve also had to adapt to the idiosyncrasies of different countries. I started my career at home in Chile, but then I went to Ecuador and Argentina – three entirely different experiences in South America. And after that came the leap to Europe.

To Spain, firstly, where I had many important experiences. Experiences I was able to learn from, and build on.

With Villarreal, it was the hurt of losing to Arsenal in the semi finals of the Champions League. We were better than Arsenal, and I believed strong enough as a group to win the trophy that year.

At Real Madrid, I had the challenge of working in difficult circumstances. Six months before the season even started, I had differences with the chairman over some technical and executive aspects. So it was a tough job, but I left there with great memories of the players, the club and the backroom staff.

And at Malaga I had perhaps the most emotional phase in my life. We had a very troubled first year, in which we were close to going down, but in my second year we ended up qualifying for the Champions League.

The level of football we achieved in that competition was spectacular, taking us all the way to the quarter finals, where we faced Borussia Dortmund.

In the days that we prepared for the return leg in Germany, my father died.

returned to Santiago for the funeral, and landed back in Germany on the day of the match. It was hard. Harder still when we lost, after a truly incomprehensible mistake by the referee in the final minutes. Those were very painful times for everyone.

When we returned to Malaga, though, there were more than 3,000 people waiting for us at the airport. At three in the morning. Days later, the whole La Rosaleda Stadium paid tribute to my father.

The affection I received from the fans was incredibly uplifting.

That run of games showed just how strong the group was, to win them all and take the Premier League title, having already won the League Cup at Wembley.

It was an amazing year. Unforgettable times in my life as a manager.

Coming into a new league, you might need time to adjust. Luckily, having been in Europe for many years I already had a great understanding. Maybe there were a lot of doubters, but to win the Premier League in that first year – with the ideas I had about football, and then instilling them in the team – was just so satisfying.

I think we were able to combine the very direct style of play in England with possession football. Not exaggerated possession, because you have to respect the idiosyncrasy of the English fans, who like the direct approach – the second ball, the crosses into the box, the finish.

What we had was a mixture of the football I had practised my whole career with something a bit more direct, which the English league requires.

I did make one mistake in my time at City, though.

I said I would end my contract after three years. After that, I said we would see. Not just for me and my career, but because of Ferran and Txiki’s plans to carry on their strategy with Pep Guardiola, who they had worked with at Barcelona for a long time.

There is a lot of trust between those two and myself, so I was always kept in the loop about the plans to try and bring Guardiola to the club. I knew that if he hadn’t wanted to come to City for any reason, they weren’t going to interview for a manager. They would come straight to me.

But I learned something from the experience in my final season. It’s the same in the case of Sir Alex Ferguson. With all the experience and influence he had at Manchester United, he made his first retirement announcement several months early. I think he always described it as a mistake in his career. I also describe mine as a mistake.

Because, as much as you don’t want it to be this way, the group has a tendency to relax. To start thinking about the next step.

That’s why I say that as a manager you have to keep on learning. Carry on reading.
Good read, thanks.

He was always gentlemanly

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.