Sheikh Mansour went to Spain

Fantastic guy, but stagnated almost as much as the team did, in his final season.

That performance in Madrid to me was unacceptable, no fight, no enthusiasm, no 'going for it' even towards the end of the game, and Madrid were happy just to stroll through the game, which made it even worse.

Amazing, entertaining football the first season though, but it's a mystery what happened with his man-management, certain players seemed to be allowed free reign to do and play how they wanted, and he did seem to treat Negredo a bit harshly.

All in all, I will remember him fondly, but he definitely stayed a season too long.

Pellegrini gets a raw deal on here as far as I'm concerned. Why is that? Was he just not a likeable fella? Do people think he piggybacked on mancios success?

I think his first season was breathtaking. His ultimate demise, I think, was being overly loyal to players that stopped doing it and Pep, obviously.

Got us to a champions league semi final where a Gareth Bale fluke knocked us out.

A good manager, and a decent man. What say you?

The team went backwards with him and progressively worse each year. The year he won the league was Mancini's team. The champions league semi you mentioned was one of the most disappointed I've ever felt coming out of a ground because we could have played for days and not scored, we needed just one goal and never looked like scoring.

Also some of the players he allowed to stay at the club when they clearly weren't good enough made it so frustrating to see them play.

The fact he didnt realise that if we scored 1 more and the Allianz we'd have finished top and left Aguero on the bench, was utterly ridiculous and although I left the ground feeling amazing it was still crazy for him to not know we only needed one more.

I'd take a league title, two league cups, and a CL semi-final over An FA cup, league title, community shield, and dropping out of the group stages every year. He improved the team, but unfortunately was left with an aging squad and announced his departure too soon. He took us forward in every measure. He turned a team that lost the league to the rags, and lost the FA Cup to Wigan, into a double-winning team within one year. Hard to argue with the facts.

Demichelis was our best centre half for a long period of time.

Not hard considering Kompany was constantly injured and we went through 5 centre halves in about 2 seasons.... Demichelis was a bad signing as it was a short term solution to a long term problem, just as was the purchase of players such as Sagna, Silvinho and Maicon. Before Stones and Laporte, Otamendi was our only decent purchase of a CB since Lescott, the rest have been woeful.

In all honestly I never warmed to him, despite the title win in his initial season, and I think it might have just been a generational thing,
His personality and all round demeanour doesn't fit that well with say my generation and some on social media who probably prefer the all action type manager.
Not his fault I guess but its just how it is.
I just felt he got it wrong so, so often in big games, particularly away and his failure to adapt to the strengths of other sides was abysmal in his final year in the league
To finish 4th with that squad and literally only just gain UCL football was shambolic.

I will however give him credit for the first proper champions league 'run' we have ever had and he went against his own ways and played it spot on against PSG.
We were solid and dangerous away in Paris, getting the 2 goals, and defensively sound in the home leg where there were spells in the game we just couldnt afford to concede
So props to him for that, but then again we were toothless in the 2 legs against Madrid,

Dont rate him too much at all as a manager and he wouldn't have me running through brick walls but he's obviously a decent guy and done well for himself

Not hard considering Kompany was constantly injured and we went through 5 centre halves in about 2 seasons.... Demichelis was a bad signing as it was a short term solution to a long term problem, just as was the purchase of players such as Sagna, Silvinho and Maicon. Before Stones and Laporte, Otamendi was our only decent purchase of a CB since Lescott, the rest have been woeful.

Demichelis wasn't a bad signing. Sometimes short-term solutions are necessary. Sagna wasn't a bad signing either.

I don't remember all the precise circumstances but FFP meant we had to be make some signings for low fees.

....in a sky blue Roller,brought us back a genius, super Guardiola.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.