It's quiet... summer 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with the defensive midfielder but not the other two.

Just personally, I think Delph has been immense this season, we have only looked rocky because we lost Delph AND Mendy at the same time, which is very unlikely to happen again, so I am very happy with those two.

I would say another striker/goal scoring winger is necessary if we ALWAYS use 4-3-3 because with 3 forwards we start to look a little thin up front if we have an injury. BUT, I think Pep will rotate between 4-3-3 and 3-5-2, and will probably favour 3-5-2 most of the time because of Mendy and Walker's ability to dominate the wings. This formation requires only 2 forwards, which we have alot of, buying a 5th forward when we'd play with 2 most of the time is a bad idea.

It basically boils down to which formation you think will be used most often, I think if it's 3-5-2 then 1 buy at most is needed.
I'd agree about the 352, but if that's the case Delph isn't sufficient cover for Mendy, we would need a reserve left back that plays the same way Mendy does.

I'd agree about the 352, but if that's the case Delph isn't sufficient cover for Mendy, we would need a reserve left back that plays the same way Mendy does.
I agree, I just think Delph CAN do it. He played LWB for a bit against Tottenham so I want to see Pep develop that further and add crossing to his game, Delph has good overall technique in all areas that I think he can do it.

If not, fine, buy another LB and use Delph as the defensive midfield option, still only requires 1 buy.

I agree with the defensive midfielder but not the other two.

Just personally, I think Delph has been immense this season, we have only looked rocky because we lost Delph AND Mendy at the same time, which is very unlikely to happen again, so I am very happy with those two.

I would say another striker/goal scoring winger is necessary if we ALWAYS use 4-3-3 because with 3 forwards we start to look a little thin up front if we have an injury. BUT, I think Pep will rotate between 4-3-3 and 3-5-2, and will probably favour 3-5-2 most of the time because of Mendy and Walker's ability to dominate the wings. This formation requires only 2 forwards, which we have alot of, buying a 5th forward when we'd play with 2 most of the time is a bad idea.

It basically boils down to which formation you think will be used most often, I think if it's 3-5-2 then 1 buy at most is needed.

I believe we will stick to 433. Thus a scoring winger and a Central Midfielder are the 2 needs.

Personally, I want a player with the capacity to bench David Silva. Not this year's Dave, but the lesser one we are almost certain to get next season. I believe that player (or at least one of them) is SMS.

I'm not worried about DM. Playing Gundogan at DM has shown me a swashbuckling defensive mid is not that nececessary. I can See Dihno and Gundo splitting the role. And Dihno often coming in to close out games.

The best way to improve is to become less dependent on our older players. Kompany, Dave, Dihno, and Otamendi will be the 4 over 30 players next season. If none of them are full time starters next season, then we've improved. If more than 1 is a starter, then we stayed stagnant. If 3 or all 4 are starters then be rest assured we've regressed.

I believe we will stick to 433. Thus a scoring winger and a Central Midfielder are the 2 needs.

Personally, I want a player with the capacity to bench David Silva. Not this year's Dave, but the lesser one we are almost certain to get next season. I believe that player (or at least one of them) is SMS.

I'm not worried about DM. Playing Gundogan at DM has shown me a swashbuckling defensive mid is not that nececessary. I can See Dihno and Gundo splitting the role. And Dihno often coming in to close out games.

The best way to improve is to become less dependent on our older players. Kompany, Dave, Dihno, and Otamendi will be the 4 over 30 players next season. If none of them are full time starters next season, then we've improved. If more than 1 is a starter, then we stayed stagnant. If 3 or all 4 are starters then be rest assured we've regressed.
You make fair points.

I think 3-5-2 will be the dominant formation because it gets the best out of Walker, Mendy, Kevin, Sterling and Sane. It relies less on David Silva like the 4-3-3 does, and requires our youngsters to offer more creativity which I think this team needs to move towards. I even think Delph playing LCM and buying another LB/LWB would be a good option.

You even mentioned that true progression will be made when we rely less on our senior players, the young players mentioned above are our future. We've already seen Sterling looks more threatening down the center, and Sane is a great finisher who should be played central as well. We should put more responsibilities on them, in the 4-3-3 they are out wide and not involved as much.

Kevin has played quite deep in our 4-3-3 with David playing more forward, in the 3-5-2 Kevin can be more involved up front, I think his creation and goal scoring will improve with the added CB behind to cover him.

I agree about Gundogan in regards to Dinho and would go further and say Delph could play there as well.

That's basically my argument, to me it makes sense, yes, 4-3-3 will be used but it doesn't get the best out of our squad.

I wouldn't say we need all 4 not playing. Silva doesn't rely that much on pace so I see no reason for why he can't play more. We definitely need someone alongside DInho but I see it as someone who he will rotate with. As for the CBs I agree that Laporte and Stones should be the mainstay of the backline with Otamendi and Komps rotating in. Maybe we'll get a young guy (this De Ligt guy seems to be mentioned) who will play 20-25 games.

I think 433 will always be the dominant shape, but we'll see a lot more formation changes. With Mendy fit 352 would have been around more often this season, but If you look at Barca in 2011 and 2012, Bayern in 2015 and 2016, he got a lot more experimental as he had a squad who fully understood him and his ways, and he could rely on them understanding what to do when he changed things up for a specific opponent.

Put it this way - if we play 35 games next season with 433 then it'll be a massive failing of the other 19 premier league managers, because Pep will change things up if he feels they make adaptations to stop us or he needs to change things to exploit them. If he doesn't need to do that, then we'll walk the league again.

Pep's comments about Silva before Spurs were interesting IMO. I think his replacement might be on the way.

Will either Maffeo or Angelino return?

I think they might do if they impress in preseason. Because they're both club trained, there's pretty much no reason not to keep them if Pep thinks they can contribute.

Angelino in particular is someone who could pretty much replace Zinchenko if he impresses Pep. Zinchenko is almost definitely going to leave because he starts counting towards the 17 foreign players, and if you think about how we'd have been fucked without Zinchenko available at parts of this season, you'd hope he gets replaced in the squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.