Cashpoints/Cashcards

Ancient Citizen

There is now a dearth of cashpoints, particularly in rural areas, but they are starting to disappear at
an alarming rate virtually everywhere, are we seeing the end of cash?
Very soon, I think it will cease to exist, we'll just be flashing a card in front of a machine for every purchase,
which has benefits for the banks for sure, plus there are other benefits for businesses, as they will no longer
have security worries, or have to count stacks of takings.
The biggest beneficiary though, will be the government, as each and every purchase becomes traceable,
no longer will Joe the gardener or Bill the plumber be able to ask for readies, so the income tax take will
soar, as every transaction can be monitored, and is forever available for scrutiny; is this good,
or bad?

Pull a wad out and watch whomever wares you are buying light up, do the same with a plastic card and the impact is not the same. That is a small thing though, the main one is systems going down, how you gonna pay then? I always keep 100 quid in cash on me, it has saved me more than once. Until the powers that be can guarantee a fallback system to always have a working method electronically cash can't be scraped. I don't see how they can make such a system and roll it out everywhere anytime soon. My local shop is always on the blink and they are next to a major bt internet sub station.

You also have to look how the country works, as you note there is a lot of cash in hand stuff that helps make the world go round. A lot of jobs would instantly have a lot of benefits wiped out making it unfeasible as a profession. Half the jobs done in houses is moonlighting at the weekend by a mate of a mate for example, they won't see any value in those jobs getting taxed to buggery to so won't do it or charge more.

I’m cash in the pub but card pretty much everywhere else. Apps for online purchases etc.

Went to Stockholm a few years ago and some pubs were card only. Seemed strange as it takes longer if you don’t have contactless. I know for sure that I’d spend silly money if I only had my card to pay with whilst drinking.

Most builders and tradesman that quote for work only seem to want to accept cash. I can't see cash being phased out but if it was a lot more tax would be paid!

There is now a dearth of cashpoints, particularly in rural areas, but they are starting to disappear at
an alarming rate virtually everywhere, are we seeing the end of cash?
Very soon, I think it will cease to exist, we'll just be flashing a card in front of a machine for every purchase,
which has benefits for the banks for sure, plus there are other benefits for businesses, as they will no longer
have security worries, or have to count stacks of takings.
The biggest beneficiary though, will be the government, as each and every purchase becomes traceable,
no longer will Joe the gardener or Bill the plumber be able to ask for readies, so the income tax take will
soar, as every transaction can be monitored, and is forever available for scrutiny; is this good,
or bad?

Bloody marvellous idea.
Why should the economy be based on screwing the PAYE tax payer alone?

I live in a small market town and can think of about 10 ATM's I can get to within 5 mins - not going anywhere soon especially as someone said because they can charge £1.50 a pop to get at your own cash ! Close branches and stop us getting cash at their expense and charge us instead - great business model.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.