Long distance fans

Lucky Toma

Just when I thought I was out...they pulled me bac
Writing a piece for FourFourTwo on long distance fans and wanted to gauge posters' opinion on the subject.

Are they any less of a fan than a regular match-goer who lives locally? Are they less connected to the club?

I'm aware there are some who think people should support their local club no matter who they are. Would love to hear from someone who has that view or similar.

Don't feel any less of a fan or any less connected mate, but considering a trip over usually involves a flight and a hotel I think the club would do well by looking at partnerships with a discount for a match ticket, they might have some but you're not made aware of it buying the ticket if so.

I think a lot of people will be a little uncomfortable with this subject.
As a Mancunian I never really had much of a choice to make.
All my family were blues so I was brought up supporting my local team.
I will say there was a real sense of comaradery when we were in the lower divisions and nearly all the blues at the games home or away were Mancs
There is also a feeling of serving your time in the lower divisions and backing the club when we were crap.
Whilst I accept the club wants and needs all the fans they can get, if I am honest I find it difficult to see the logic in supporting a club just because they are successful.
I am also am slightly saddened when I meet someone in a City top and then when they speak they do so in some sort of strange accent. I certainly feel less of an affiliation with them.
We slagged off the rags for so long about this, old habits are hard to break.

I will say there was a real sense of comaradery when we were in the lower divisions and nearly all the blues at the games home or away were Mancs
There is also a feeling of serving your time in the lower divisions and backing the club when we were crap.
Whilst I accept the club wants and needs all the fans they can get, if I am honest I find it difficult to see the logic in supporting a club just because they are successful.
I am also am slightly saddened when I meet someone in a City top and then when they speak they do so in some sort of strange accent. I certainly feel less of an affiliation with them.

I agree with this.

Going to some of the away games recently has been a bit sad really, populated with people who wouldn't be seen within 100 miles of a City match if we weren't winning trophies but I suppose it's modern football I guess.

Obviously, if you're not a local fan and supported City when we were shit then you're probably more of a fan than most mancs, and probably also a little bit mental.

I supported City growing up as a kid in England (the midlands)when I moved to the States I lost all connections to any football for quite a few years. Then along came the internet and I slowly started getting back into it. Everyone in my local now claims to be a City fan

I feel exactly the opposite - I love meeting people who are new City fans. It may be that it's still a bit of a novelty, despite our current success, and I might feel different if every other person I met was suddenly a City fan. California is riddled with United, Liverpool, Arsenal, and Chelsea fans, but I only meet the occasional City fan. These are people who are new to the Premier League and who get more out of it if they have a team to follow. Of course they're mostly going to pick one of the successful teams (and what does it say about you if you deliberately pick a shit team?), but with several to choose from, I'm always delighted when I find someone who's chosen us.

They tend to 'support' the most famous teams and either rarely go or destroy the environment doing so.

A lot are mainly either the late 60s to early 80s fans or the first Keegan season, or the 2007 takeover onwards.

Anyone who 'chooses' a team isn't a real fan, more a customer.

I feel exactly the opposite - I love meeting people who are new City fans. It may be that it's still a bit of a novelty, despite our current success, and I might feel different if every other person I met was suddenly a City fan. California is riddled with United, Liverpool, Arsenal, and Chelsea fans, but I only meet the occasional City fan. These are people who are new to the Premier League and who get more out of it if they have a team to follow. Of course they're mostly going to pick one of the successful teams (and what does it say about you if you deliberately pick a shit team?), but with several to choose from, I'm always delighted when I find someone who's chosen us.

In your situation you are looking for like minded fans who have chosen a club.
I genuinely feel I was born in Manchester and was almost born to support City there is really not a conscious choice, no different than being able to choose my eye colour just in my genes.

Laughable, and, if I am honest, quite pathetic.

I live on the south coast, have a season ticket and have had that for the last 20 years, barring a couple due to restricted finances. There's ALWAYS been plenty of Blues down here that travel to games, ones that I have known for decades, since before I got my season ticket. Most of us have some sort of familial connection to Manchester, though you, and others wouldn't take that into consideration, whilst looking down your noses at us. Snobbery of the worst kind.

What happens if you are born in Manchester and then move away? What happens in that time when you live 150+ miles away and still have a season ticket? What happens if your whole life is being surrounded by non City fans? The only one in school? College? One of 2 in Uni? Ridiculed by everyone for the team you support for most of your life but still going home and away when you can? What happens when you are the only non Manchester accent at Portsmouth away in the 80's? Or Norwich? Or Southampton? Etc etc.

And then? We get better, Keegan, Royle, money, Frank, Elano, Middlesbrough away, cup finals, all taken in, all watched with pride, all with a Southern accent, do you feel less affiliated with me?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.