Local Elections

This is not true, youth unemployment is at its lowest level in history. House ownership is not indicative of a young population that is struggling or one which has no money. The majority go on to do alright and earn an average wage. This happens later though because most are still at university when in the past they would be earning.

I am a millenial and it took me a few years to save up but it is doable because there is lots of help, information, interest rates are low and now stamp duty is rock bottom. Loads of people my age own houses and they have average jobs and manage fine. In fact I think I was one of the latest to buy one of my mates, most of them have owned for a good few years.

The ones pushed into renting went that way because they did something stupid like have a kid, stay at university for years because of gap years or something or they spent their money getting smashed every weekend. In that case what do you expect?

Anecdote is wonderful, particularly when it's padded out with...
youth unemployment is at its lowest level in history

and....
The majority go on to do alright and earn an average wage

So everything is alright, except the facts say otherwise.

That is you, me and many others on this forum.

And as this is a left leaning forum - well clearly in the minds of anyone that is not themselves 'far-left' - then if this is typical across the electorate - Labour has little chance of being electable.

But the purists are adamant that those more towards the centre should be purged as they are not pure enough of thinking

You're talking to yourself again.

Anecdote is wonderful, particularly when it's padded out with...

and....

So everything is alright, except the facts say otherwise.
Which facts are those? Fumble's alternative facts?
Presumably not the government statistics that show youth unemployment (age 16-24) at around its lowest levels in 25 years.

This is not true, youth unemployment is at its lowest level in history. House ownership is not indicative of a young population that is struggling or one which has no money. The majority go on to do alright and earn an average wage. This happens later though because most are still at university when in the past they would be earning.

I am a millenial and it took me a few years to save up but it is doable because there is lots of help, information, interest rates are low and now stamp duty is rock bottom. Loads of people my age own houses and they have average jobs and manage fine. In fact I think I was one of the latest to buy one of my mates, most of them have owned for a good few years.

The ones pushed into renting went that way because they did something stupid like have a kid, stay at university for years because of gap years or something or they spent their money getting smashed every weekend. In that case what do you expect?

Sorry but thats not all true either. Statistics show what you say but how many youngsters are in low paid jobs? Just being in work doesn't guarantee a massive salary. Minimum wage - wage stagnation ( my son left uni 3 years ago and has worked ever since - there hasn't been a payrise in that time as his employers can only afford dividends to shareholders and increased board level remuneration ). The uni thing is interesting too as the fee debt is really a tax and as you earn more you pay more of the debt back so in fact there comes a level where its not overly attractive to get too big an increase in pay if it takes you over the threshold where you start to repay as not all the increase will be yours but your employer will still put more pressure and more responsibility on you to reflect the new pay level.

The view on saving, buying and those who rent is I am afraid just your opinion and makes sweeping statements that aren't correct.

Yes some youngsters get to buy houses but it depends where you are and what parental help you can get in the main. An ex council house in Barrow will be eminently affordable but not much use if you work in Central Manchester. If you are on the living/ minimum wage and renting good luck saving for a deposit for somewhere to live in or near Central Manchester. One stat you missed off was by 2017 teenaged birthrates had halved since 2008 and were at the lowest since records began so not too many are having kids ( whether or not you consider that stupid - I don't - I think its vital for the country's future ) and not that many take gap years - there were a record number of admissions in 2017 ( about 33% of the relevant school leaver population ) and from what I can see the last records indicate that in 2014 just under 5% of students were taking a gap year - just over 27k in total.

You have done very well - not gone out getting smashed and saved up but please don't judge others by your own achievements without considering in more detail what the more accurate circumstances are - its a difficult issue and just staying in and not getting drunk at weekends trivialises it mate.

That is you, me and many others on this forum.

And as this is a left leaning forum - well clearly in the minds of anyone that is not themselves 'far-left' - then if this is typical across the electorate - Labour has little chance of being electable.

But the purists are adamant that those more towards the centre should be purged as they are not pure enough of thinking
@fumble - talking to myself?

It was surely obvious that I was replying to West Dids - the clue was that my post was a direct reply to his - quoting his earlier post - that is how the forum works

Perhaps you should try it - rather than simply posting these inane and snide one-liners that - as demonstrated in this last page - appears to be your 'go to' style

Of course what I stated is an absolute fact and a view that I am sure is shared by quite a few on this forum.

Perhaps being a self-evident fact was the reason why you could not deal with it in a manner that is appropriate to a forum, but - as you cannot simply leave others to have their views - had to resort to snide

Last edited:
@fumble - talking to myself?

It was surely obvious that I was replying to West Dids - the clue was that my post was a direct reply to his - quoting his earlier post - that is how the forum works

Perhaps you should try it - rather than simply posting these inane and snide one-liners that - as demonstrated in this last page - appears to be your 'go to' style

Of course what I stated is an absolute fact and a view that I am sure is shared by quite a few on this forum.

Perhaps being a self-evident fact was the reason why you could not deal with it in a manner that is appropriate to a forum, but - as you cannot simply leave others to have their views - had to resort to snide

You thought it was a good idea to ridicule my suggestion that you were talking to yourself, by replying to yourself.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.