London - the centre of England ?

Southern

I'm lucky to live within the M25 in the sense that I'm close to London (well, I'm not that bothered, but most people love visiting it).

London seems to have basically everything important in England/the UK:
-Central government institutions
- Economic centre for England
- 'National' Museums
- Most national/international media headquarters
- Fashion capital of England
- 'National' football stadium (Wembley, not swamp)
- WImbledon tennis
- Disproportionately high number of private institutions like Private Hospitals

Am I wrong or can someone make a case for Manchester or Birmingham? I think most of the rest of the country has been neglected greatly.

Also, how does it compare here to countries like France (Paris), Italy, Spain (I believe it is more split between Barcelona and Madrid), Poland, Russia? Do they just have one vastly dominant city/region, or is there greater distribution of resources/investments

I'm lucky to live within the M25 in the sense that I'm close to London (well, I'm not that bothered, but most people love visiting it).

London seems to have basically everything important in England/the UK:
-Central government institutions
- Economic centre for England
- 'National' Museums
- Most national/international media headquarters
- Fashion capital of England
- 'National' football stadium (Wembley, not swamp)
- WImbledon tennis
- Disproportionately high number of private institutions like Private Hospitals

Am I wrong or can someone make a case for Manchester or Birmingham? I think most of the rest of the country has been neglected greatly.

Also, how does it compare here to countries like France (Paris), Italy, Spain (I believe it is more split between Barcelona and Madrid), Poland, Russia? Do they just have one vastly dominant city/region, or is there greater distribution of resources/investments

One of the most famous cities in the world, bound to be like that. As Churchill said Manchester is the belly and guts of the UK. Fuck Big Ben!

Wimbledon is a bit daft to include. That's historical rather than cultural.
Hospitals I have no idea about, but there are more people in London, and more very rich people.

Russia has St Petersburg and Moscow.
I think Paris has most French things.
Italy has Milan.

I think that in the last two hundred years, Russia, Italy and Spain with split centres were politically divided and had separate seats of culture (for Russia, the size of the country may have led to that); France/UK weren't really, and centre on the capital.

The UK is strange in that the north is the centre of the industrial revolution, but the NW has fewer grand historical buildings (e.g. no-one's going to rate most cathedrals in the north west very highly, apart from maybe Chester). I don't know what the oldest building in the NW is, not counting Hadrian's Wall! Chatsworth at a stretch?

There's not that much in Birmingham that springs to mind historically (over 200 years old).

This country is too London centric. Billions ploughed into building capital projects while the rest of the country is pretty much left to its own devices.

15 billion alone poured into Crossrail, while we get a poxy fucking half arsed tram that you can shove up the governments arse.

...I think most of the rest of the country has been neglected greatly...
bvsix.gif

Liverpool is the anus.
Love London, but it is great to get back up North to Manchester. Different cities and lifestyle. Not many Londoners could live here same way few from Manchester area could settle there. In my opinion of course

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.