Ireland Cricket Test debut

leighton

The acid test is here Irelands first cricket Test Match will Test Cricket win over the general sporting fans in Ireland or will it just be a miss. I think Ireland and cricket can go any way. But competing with the summer sports of Hurling and GAA football is the biggest task at hand.

Saying that 1 could surely help cricket. Hurling is huge in Ireland and I would be guessing a fair few hurlers would be able to hit a cricket ball the speed wouldnt be the problem so this could well be a interesting time. Cricket Ireland go and get some Hurlers coming to the end of there time playing inter county cricket maybe they could add a bit into the mix at cricket.

I be honest I dont know much about cricket but i am all for different sports and it is nice to see a top team playing Ireland in Pakistan. I think the crowds will be good with the Irish Pakistani people going along with some of the die hard locals. I think for it to work there has to be some sort of sucess in the next 5 years to get the kids involved be it winning a test match or 2.

I think one of the biggest problems facing them is that Irish cricketers playing in England will be classed as overseas players as of next year, now that Ireland have been granted test status. This is going to severely curtail the earning potential of centrally contracted players, and they may be forced to choose between test and county cricket.

I think one of the biggest problems facing them is that Irish cricketers playing in England will be classed as overseas players as of next year, now that Ireland have been granted test status. This is going to severely curtail the earning potential of centrally contracted players, and they may be forced to choose between test and county cricket.

Yeah that will be hard for Ireland I am guessing. I would hope that if that is the case that they get good contracts and come back to the Irish game and play here and the Irish club game a bit better. I still dont think this will kick off for a long long time. The crowds have been good. Its a shame its only 1 test and not more this summer I am guessing we will find it hard as it wont be relevant next year. Everyone wants to go to the first game of anything. I just feel they need someone that people can get behind and want to be like them.

Now the only guy i can see that happening with is Eoin Morgan and i think he is the right guy that kids if they watch can look at him and say I want to be like him and play cricket like he does. Now with ECB ruling that the Irish players will be over seas does that also mean Morgan will be classed as a over seas player too?? Just need to build slowly if Ireland can bat out the day today they may well get a draw with the weather to change tomorrow which is slim pickings. I just hope that Ireland get to travel over to Pakistan and play there as they need to play everywhere and anywhere if they can. I know we wont beat any of the major test nations but the lesser 1s you just never know if we got a team together.

Had a look thinking the match be over but Ireland still going strong 303-7 and a century by Kevin O Brien and they leading by 123 runs not too bad and still playing for a first test.

Have you tipped Ireland to win The Ashes, yet? ;)

Have you tipped Ireland to win The Ashes, yet? ;)

The Ashes haha. I dont think i be tipping anything about cricket. But the guy O Brien looked wrecked at the end of the day finished 118 not out. Just think its going to be a hard sell to the people over here. Dont get me wrong if Cricket Ireland get into hurling areas of Waterford , Kilkenny and Clare and establish teams there they may just find some players. Kids down there are born with Hurley in there hands and the talent is so good down there. I could honestly see them taking to batting in cricket well.

Sure if they get a draw tomorrow it be some going and being honest if the O Brien lad sticks around and tries to smash it about for a hour or so and set say 200 odd runs who knows what will happen they might not have enough to bowl Pakistan out but its just a shame they will only have 1 test match as i said they need more as the sports fans will turn out for the first test but to wait until 2019 for the next test match summer is a long wait and the fans may not turn up again next year.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.