Sterling’s contract - three year extension confirmed

Obviously the club will try to keep his salary down and they definitely need to stay within the pay structure. But they do need to do everything possible to get a new contract agreed even if that means giving him something in the region of KDB levels IMO. When you consider the improvement in his play over the last 12 months and his age - pay a bit more now and if nothing else make sure we get what would be an enormous fee if we then decide to sell in the next few years. Can you imagine us not agreeing a deal, him having a similar level of improvement next season, still only being 24 at that point and only having one year left on his contract? Doesn't even bear thinking about.

It will get done, I'm sure of it. Ultimately I'd be shocked if he wasn't desperate to stay with us. He's ambitious and might fancy a move abroad I suppose as some point, but I can't see it being for a few years yet. The money is The Sheikh's but in terms of parity I'd say he deserves to be at Fernandinho/B Silva/Walker level rather that KDB/Silva level.

I don't see what the big deal is?

It's factually correct that City have attempted to get him to sign an extended improved contract for a few months, having got nowhere with his agent twice since earlier this year.

As is the reality that Sterling is being advised to hold out for parity with some of the club's very highest earners and is purposely running down his contract to leverage better terms.

Problem is, the likes of Leroy and Jesus are paid 50 per cent less than Sterling at present, so the club can't allow Sterling's agent to open up a whole new can of worms.

Some right odd fuckers on this thread. Two years left on his contract, his stock has risen significantly in the last 12 months so he's entitled to negotiate a much improved contract, in fact his agent wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't use the great season his client has had to get him a much better deal. It'll probably get sorted and if it doesn't we will sell him but not sure why anyone is angry at Sterling at this point. Seems there will always be some people just waiting for the opportunity to turn on Sterling even amongst our own support.
For some unknown reason, fans bloody love getting their knickers in a twist about contracts and players wanting more money or to leave to get that money. It's like they've never learnt from the ten thousand other times it's happened. We've seen it at City with Distin, Sturridge, Barton... fans booing them just because they either wanted more money or went to another club.

Players come and go. If a player goes you replace him. It will be that way forever.

If Sterling wants more money and we won't give it him and he leaves, so be it. Not arsed at all. Good luck to him wherever he goes and let's get excited about who we'd replace him with. If he wants more money and we give it to him let's hope he improves to the level he's paid to and he helps us win more trophies.

I don't see what the big deal is?

It's factually correct that City have attempted to get him to sign an extended improved contract for a few months, having got nowhere with his agent twice since earlier this year.

As is the reality that Sterling is being advised to hold out for parity with some of the club's very highest earners and is purposely running down his contract to leverage better terms.

Problem is, the likes of Leroy and Jesus are paid 50 per cent less than Sterling at present, so the club can't allow Sterling's agent to open up a whole new can of worms.
So it isn't a case of sterling not wanting to stay or commit, but rather his agent and him trying to get the best possible deal out of city? To be expected I guess; we knew his agent was ruthless when we signed him.

We live in a capitalist system. Sterling wants to get the most money he can. As do we all (or most).

His agent is trying to get him the best deal possible.

Any agent who doesn't do this should immediately be sacked as they are not doing their job.

If he stays, great. If he goes for more money, fair play...he came to us for more money. We'll get someone new. Everyone's a winner.

I honestly believe we can find better in his position, maybe not a better homegrown though.

His replacement when he left the dippers was better, we were all reliably told; he should still be there given he's so good. Jordan something, his name was

No one is bigger than the club. I’d like him to stay but if he can’t agree terms to extend he should be sold and we move on. Good luck to him if he can get a big deal elsewhere.

the likes of Leroy and Jesus are paid 50 per cent less than Sterling at present
Wow, that's surprising if true. It's understandable that the club are being careful not to disrupt the wage structure otherwise there could be a knock on effect with other players making similar demands.

Wow, that's surprising if true. It's understandable that the club are being careful not to disrupt the wage structure otherwise there could be a knock on effect with other players making similar demands.
Why is it surprising? Sterling was an established player when he signed, Sané and Jesus were promising players making their first steps into senior football.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.