World Cup 2018 | 15th June Matches | Next Match: Portugal vs Spain, KO 19:00 (BST)

MCFC1993

WORLD CUP 2018 - 15TH JUNE

EGYPT VS URUGUAY

Match kicks off at 13:00 (BST) on BBC 1. Coverage begins at 12:30 (BST). Host Gary Lineker, analysis from Jermaine Jenas, Matthew Upson and Phil Neville. Commentary from Jonathan Pearce and Martin Keown.

Expecting a much better game than yesterdays match up.

This is just Egypt’s 3rd appearance at a world cup. They are ranked 45th in the world and have 7 players based in England; Elmohamady, Hegazi, Sobhi and Elneny to name a few. However Salah is without a doubt their star man, coming off a great season as we all know and scored the decisive penalty that sent them to the World Cup. They are capable of progressing from this group if Salah is fit.

As for Uruguay, we all know who their star men are; they’ve been around for donkeys. Godin still one of the top defenders in world football and he has his club mate Gimenez along side him. They also have a lethal attack with Suarez and Cavani. However, they have got younger talents in the team, Bentancur is just coming off of his 1st season with Juventus and Arsenal have been heavily linked with Lucas Torreira. They are currently ranked 14th in the world and were the 2nd best team in South American qualifying and if they still count as a dark horse, then they would be my shout to possibly reach the semi-finals.

Rooting for Uruguay, as all the red scousers will be supporting Egypt.

MOROCCO VS IRAN

Match kicks off at 16:00 (BST) on ITV. Coverage begins at 15:30 (BST). Analysis from Slaven Bilic, Giggs and Eni Aluko, with commentary from Sam Matterface and Iain Dowie.

Morocco are fancied by a few to upset one of Spain or Portugal in this group and scrape through. Currently ranked 41st in the world but they breezed through their qualifying group of the Ivory Coast, Mali and Gabon without conceding a goal. With a lot of their players based in Europe they could surprise a few people. Boutaib was their top goal scorer in qualifying and they have Benatia who can be solid at the back. Their midfield also consists of tidy players; Ziyech, Amrabat, Belhanda, Carcela-Gonzalez to name a few. They are unbeaten in 18 games, winning 14.

Iran also qualified with ease topping their group without losing any of their 10 games. That said South Korea was their only decent opposition. Plus if Saudi Arabia’s performance was anything to go by then I’m not sure what to make of Asian Qualifying but they are ranked 37th in the world, 30 places ahead of Saudi Arabia and 4 ahead of Morocco. Sardar Azmoun was their top goal scorer in qualifying and Dejagah of Nottingham Forest is their only English based player.

I think Morocco will have far too much for Iran.

PORTUGAL VS SPAIN

Match kicks off at 19:00 (BST) on BBC 1. Coverage begins at 18:20 (BST). Analysis from Cesc Fabregas and commentary from Steve Wilson and Danny Murphy.

Portugal go into this World Cup as European Champions but I think most people would place them outside the top 5 teams in the competition, that being despite winning 9 out of their 10 qualifying games and being ranked 4th in the word. Ronaldo was their top goal scorer in qualifying with 15 goals but has he still got it in him to drag them through this tournament. There is also City interest with Bernardo Silva expected to star so lets hope he has a good tournament.

Spain looked set to be one of the favourites to win the competition but sacking your manager one day before the world cup isn’t exactly a good sign and you have to question whether than has affected morale. Currently ranked 10th in the world but they were excellent in qualifying, unbeaten, winning 9 of their 10 matches and their recent 6-1 win over Argentina caught peoples attention. They have a world-class player in every position, so despite sacking their manager I’ll be shocked if they don’t make the semi finals. Once again there is City interest with our very own Merlin.

I’d take a 1-1 draw with both our Silva’s on the scoresheet.

Last edited:
13:05 - Salah replaced after injuring his shoulder in a clash with Diego Godin.

I’ve gone for both Cavani and Suarez each way for the golden boot, 20/1 per player - I think Uruguay will score a lot in this group, Salah or no Salah for Egypt

Looking forward to all of these really. Can probably catch a bit of the early game in work, watch the big game tonight with a few beers.

Morocco on paper aren't as bad as I expected but I think it is a stretch to say they'll upset one of Spain or Portugal.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.