Armed Forces Day

FantasyIreland

A bit piss poor its taken until nearly 1400hrs for a thread to be made.

Anyway....here it is.

So,a big thank you both to those that are currently serving and also to those that have served.

Been to TankFest today and apart from squeezing my belly into several vehicles not designed for my middle aged spread, I also shook hands and thanked as many active/ non-active personal as possible. One of them, 3 tours of Iraq, 3 of Afghanistan, told me that it rarely happens. Such a shame seeing as in the States they get them to stand up at sporting events and give them a round of applause.

Been to TankFest today and apart from squeezing my belly into several vehicles not designed for my middle aged spread, I also shook hands and thanked as many active/ non-active personal as possible. One of them, 3 tours of Iraq, 3 of Afghanistan, told me that it rarely happens. Such a shame seeing as in the States they get them to stand up at sporting events and give them a round of applause.
I noticed when I visited the USA recently, there are flags flying all over the place, whereas in PC Britain this is frowned upon, maybe 'it rarely happens' is unsurprising due to the offence a lot of UK citizens would feel if such acts of patriotism were practised on that sceptred isle.

We are all indebted to our armed forces.

I noticed when I visited the USA recently, there are flags flying all over the place, whereas in PC Britain this is frowned upon, maybe 'it rarely happens' is unsurprising due to the offence a lot of UK citizens would feel if such acts of patriotism were practised on that sceptred isle.

We are all indebted to our armed forces.
This is bollocks. No doubt you believe the Daily Faily type stories of how Johnny had to take his English flag down because Mohamed next door complained. Come over right now you’ll see flags on loads of houses. We’re just not over the top like the Americans

This is bollocks. No doubt you believe the Daily Faily type stories of how Johnny had to take his English flag down because Mohamed next door complained. Come over right now you’ll see flags on loads of houses. We’re just not over the top like the Americans

Agreed - for decades we British celebrated the stiff upper lip and restraint - suddenly if you don't fly flags - stand for the national anthem - wear a poppy then you are some how a traitor. We do things our way - if thats not enough for some then tough.

Its a bit sad that because Ive read on many occasions where Police have asked people to remove their St George flag because of possible tensions you label me a Daily mail reader, and insinuate that Im thick enough to believe the tripe that they write.

Im guided by the fact that the Royal Mail has banned flags from their vehicleshttps://www.bbc.com/news/uk-44478064

and Weatherspoons has also banned flags
https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink/wetherspoon-bans-england-flags-could-1685871

Maybe the World cup has something to do with flags flying on houses and Police are turning a blind eye till England are knocked out. But the view in reality could be construed that whilst flying national flags in the USA or say Australia is an act of patriotism, in the UK it is frequently viewed as racist behaviour designed to offend minorities.

Last edited:
I served in the Engineers,did a few tours,mostly Northern Ireland.I,personally have never felt the need to fly a flag of St George,as i live in England.However,i see absolutely no reason why people who choose to,should be made to take them down for fear of upsetting others.
I fly a City flag,for two reasons,one to show where my allegiances lie,and two,because i know it offends any reds who happen to be passing.Despite this i have never been asked to take it down,and would refuse point blank if i was asked,even if it meant risking being charged by the courts!

Its a bit sad that because Ive read on many occasions where Police have asked people to remove their St George flag because of possible tensions you label me a Daily mail reader, and insinuate that Im thick enough to believe the tripe that they write.

Im guided by the fact that the Royal Mail has banned flags from their vehicleshttps://www.bbc.com/news/uk-44478064

and Weatherspoons has also banned flags
https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink/wetherspoon-bans-england-flags-could-1685871

Maybe the World cup has something to do with flags flying on houses and Police are turning a blind eye till England are knocked out. But the view in reality could be construed that whilst flying national flags in the USA or say Australia is an act of patriotism, in the UK it is frequently viewed as racist behaviour designed to offend minorities.
Guided by a story about flags being banned from vehicles for health and safety reasons? As I said, in England we don’t do ultra-patriotism like the yanks, some of whom probably play a recording of Star-Spangled Banner when they flush a turd.

I served in the Engineers,did a few tours,mostly Northern Ireland.I,personally have never felt the need to fly a flag of St George,as i live in England.However,i see absolutely no reason why people who choose to,should be made to take them down for fear of upsetting others.
I fly a City flag,for two reasons,one to show where my allegiances lie,and two,because i know it offends any reds who happen to be passing.Despite this i have never been asked to take it down,and would refuse point blank if i was asked,even if it meant risking being charged by the courts!
I’m most definitely not taking the micky here mate but with you being ex forces and then saying “charged by the courts” it did make me wonder whether you fought in the Napoleon or Crimean wars. :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.