Brian Cox

I’m off to the coast later to have a good look at the Empire State Building.
If our earth is supposedly 71% water then it can't possibly be round, oh and don't forget the magic of gravity, or should I say density and buoyancy..

If our earth is supposedly 71% water then it can't possibly be round, oh and don't forget the magic of gravity, or should I say density and buoyancy..

Here's an interesting fact about mass: It attracts things to it. The force of attraction (gravity) between two objects depends on their mass and the distance between them. Simply said, gravity will pull toward the center of mass of the objects. To find the center of mass, you have to examine the object.

ani-centergravity12.gif

A SPHERE'S CENTER OF MASS

On a sphere's surface, gravity will pull you toward the sphere's center of mass: straight down.

Consider a sphere. Since a sphere has a consistent shape, no matter where on it you stand, you have exactly the same amount of sphere under you. (Imagine an ant walking around on a crystal ball. From the insect's point of view, the only indication of movement would be the fact the ant is moving its feet—the shape of the surface would not change at all.) A sphere's center of mass is in the center of the sphere, which means gravity will pull anything on the surface of the sphere straight down toward the center of the sphere. This will occur no matter where on the surface the object is located.

Consider a flat plane. The center of mass of a flat plane is in its center, so the force of gravity will pull anything on the surface toward the middle of the plane. That means that if you stand on the edge of the plane, gravity will be pulling you sideways toward the plane's middle, not straight down like you usually experience when you stand on Earth.
ani-centergravity22.gif

A PLANE'S CENTER OF MASS

A plane's center of mass is in its middle—which means that gravity should pull objects toward the center of the plane.

https://www.popsci.com/10-ways-you-can-prove-earth-is-round#page-15

Oh and 71% of the earth's surface is water, but only 0.05%(0.0005/1) of it's mass.

i'm interested in why it can't possibly be round and what shape the earth actually is?

Stoner blue, Im with your friend on this one , I to believe the earth to be flat or definitely not round. Used to believe everything that was taught to me at school but not anymore. There are plenty of proofs you just have to unlearn and look things with an open mind your sences and common sense.
Any fucker that says open your mind and use common sense after spouting such unmitigated shite such as the earth is flat should be shot and sterilised.

i'm interested in why it can't possibly be round and what shape the earth actually is?
It can't possibly be round because it's 3 dimensional not 2 dimensional. It does appear round from space.
In fact it's spherical, almost, with a slight bulge at the equator (presumably due to the spin) and slight flattening at the poles.

Apparently these are the 200 proofs...

I fucking despair at times.

I don't care that you feckin dispair, I certainly don't believe I live on a spinning ball flying endlessly through space. You may but I don't. Just find it bizarre that people react the same way, almost like a programed response.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.