The core of the team.

abu13

Team supported
Gods own
I am wondering how we all think we are going to set about our title defence this season and given that we are not going to see wholesale changes to the squad who are going to be the mainstays of our first choice 11?

Its going to be interesting as I can see some of our "old guard" taking on a reduced role as we continue to build for the future, I think that Kompany, Silva & Aguero will no longer be automatic starters

Of course it Pep will change his team dependant upon the opposition and our CL matches but there will always be a core of the team who will start 30+ league games. So who do we think they are?

I'm going for the following based on us playing a similar formation to last year.
7 of the 11 to basically pick themselves, the centre half positions are the ones that I just cant pin down but I would love to see Stones in there.

------------------------Ederson------------------------
Walker--------???????-----------Laporte------Mendy
-------------------------Ferny--------------------------
-------------KDB-------------------???????--------------
????????--------------------------------------------Sane
------------------------???????---------------------------

Could you imagine a front three of Mbappe Jesus Sane - we'd be set for the next 10 years.

ederson
walker
laporte
stones
mendy
de bruyne
bernardo
sane
jesus
mahrez

will be the main core for the next few years imo.

The main area of contention will be who will start at RW. Mahrez and Bernardo will have a head start due to Sterlings world cup duties. Apart from that I see no reason why Aguero or Silva would not be automatic starters. Despite their age they are far better than anyone else in our team. Kompany when fit will remain our main CB along with Otamendi.

For those neglecting Sergio Aguero, no guesses as to which player was the most prolific goal scorer at the World Cup. Kane 6 in 576 mins played was easily second best behind Sergio with 2 in 190 mins played. Nobody else anywhere near him.

depends if he extends his contract or not. if not then we have to sell

Was going to chime in saying sterling starts when he's fit. We had the same last season with all these sort of posts leaving him out the side. Pep trusts him more than sane.

But yeah, if he's running down his contract then he'll be pushing himself out of the side. No reason to think he won't extend though.

Have we sold Raheem ?
If you had the choice of mahrez and Sterling to play right sided attack you'd be very happy. I think I'd choose mahrez at this moment. Without checking I think Sterling's goal scoring record is better but that's possibly because he is in a better side and gets chance after chance. I thin mahrez could score 20 league goals for City.

Last season it was KDB who was the star. This season I am tipping it to be Mahrez.

The whole team though has to be play with the same intensity and desire though for one player to come to the fore as KDB did last season.

If KDB has another season like last - after winning the league title and getting to the World Cup semi-final - then he will be Ballon D'or contender. I wonder though if his game may slip back a little after all that he has achieved in the last year.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.