Rare Prog Rock Bands

Bill Walker

Team supported
City
One of my passions, prog rock, especially 70's classic prog, not the big names please but the less famous ones.....shit loads of bands the world over.
Has to deserve a thread !! Haha

England - Garden Shed (Sound like a mixture of Yes & Genesis)

Founded in Maidstone, UK in 1975 - Disbanded in 1978 - Reactivated around 1983/4 - Reformed in 2005
The album "Garden Shed" has strong echoes from early GENESIS and YES. The often Mellotron drenched compositions sound melodic, warm and inventive with many captivating changes of climate and thrilling breaks. The guitarwork is sensitive, the keyboardplay is varied and the vocals are strong, no doubt that these are good musicians. The way ENGLAND combines the influence of YES with lots of original ideas reminds me of FRUUPP, another good British progrock band. Not to be missed in any serious progrock collection! "The Last Of The Jubblies" is a grouping of the recording made between 1976 and 1977. Their sophisticated music with elaborated instrumental developments could be situated in the same category as YES and GENESIS.

Greenslade made four albums in the 70's. This album is my favourite. They have quite a distinctive keyboard lead sound. Bit of King Crimson, bit of Yes but predominantly their own sound. I would post a video if I knew how.

Greenslade made four albums in the 70's. This album is my favourite. They have quite a distinctive keyboard lead sound. Bit of King Crimson, bit of Yes but predominantly their own sound. I would post a video if I knew how.
Good shout mate Im a fan of their stuff, that opening Bass line was used by the BBC for a doco programme.

Druid were not a bad outfit making it onto Whistling Bobs show a few times.They also won the 1974 melody maker contest for unsigned bands so could knock out a decent tune or three.The lead singer was somewhat Andersonesque in his vocal prowess but then again who didn't want to emulate the wonderful Anderson back then.

Here is my favourite track called Voices from the album Toward The Sun 1975 and the climatic culmination and musical buildup to the 3 minute vocals mark make for fine listening.

Was quite partial to a bit of Badger back in the day.

cover_954112242017_r.jpg

Not sure that Focus qualify as they were quite famous back in the day having one or two hits.
I especially loved Focus III and particularly the guitar work of Jan Ackerman. Some of the melodic work on here is sublime.
Still don't know how to post videos. Must look it up.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.