Squad Strengthening In Not So Distant Future

Trautmann's Chiropractor

Over the next couple of years we have some ageing players that have been crucial for us whose contracts are up.

Contracts that end soon:
Kompany - 2019 (may retire and moved into a financial role)
Merlin - 2020 (back home to Spain to spend some much deserved family time)
Sterling - 2020 (may be sold before hand unless a new deal is signed)
Fernandinho - 2020 (may retire)
Gundogan - 2020 (wants to sign new deal apparently)
Delph - 2020 (not a clue)
Bravo - 2020 (not a clue)

We’re possibly looking at another rebuilding job if they all leave and we wouldn’t want to do that in one window I’d imagine with Brexit making foreign signings more difficult and FFP making a resurgence.

Replacements for Agüero and Silva being the most difficult IMO.

Thoughts? Who’d be your replacements?

Last edited:
Over the next couple of years we have some ageing players that have been crucial for us whose contracts are up.

Contracts that end soon:
Agüero - 2020 (back home to Independiente)

We’re possibly looking at another rebuilding job if they all leave and we wouldn’t want to do that in one window I’d imagine with Brexit making foreign signings more difficult and FFP making a resurgence.

I think we've already started work with regards to Kompany and Silva. Even with De Bruyne injured and a flexible bunch of attacking players we're struggling to accommodate a top class talent like Sané. I'm sure we will look for reinforcements but we have a core of young and extremely talented forward players. Plus I think we will want to see how Diaz and Foden progress.

Think Jesus was bought in the hope he'd develop into our talisman up front but I think it's pretty clear we intend to buy another striker.

Personally I think Sterling will sign a new deal but if we decide to sell a replacement will be lined up.

The only area I think we've really pushed it to it's limit is with fernandinho. Ideally it should have been addressed this summer but I don't think the right guy was out there. Think the club have decided to make do with what we have this season on that front and revisit it next summer.

I think the club have everything in hand here and are probably only sailing a bit close to the wind with fernandinho. Gomes will hopefully turn out to be a decent player too in the long term.

I think a huge part of this depends if Pep stays and we still want to play the exact same football he's set up. I assume we will, but if we had a world class manager who played attractive attacking football, I don't think it's too big of a change to our DNA.

Kompany - Skriniar or Davinson Sanchez. Skriniar is a more old-fashioned tough, solid CB but also has great pass completion stats. Sanchez is more modern, quicker and better at driving the ball forward. He'd cost a fortune but reminds me of Kompany more than any other CB.

Aguero - Icardi (Assuming he's not moved to a big club) and he's able to adapt to our style, but he's a world class striker who would look miles better with the width and chances our team creates. He's also pretty young, with other 25+ goals a season strikers either being too limited or too old to be a long term option.

Merlin - Bernardo Silva, Isco, Foden, Brahim.

Sterling - Depay (don't laugh...) or Lozano.

Fernandinho/Gundogan- Rabiot, Saul, Neves or possibly Ndombele. Never seen him play (until next week) but very highly rated.

Bravo - Muric.

Last edited:

Contracts that end soon:

That's a proper worse case scenario, we'll be fine.

Contracts that end soon:

Think the only one that isn't already done or being in the process of being done over the next window or 2 is Aguero, but even he could be replaced by Jesus and we replace Aguero with a young Jesus back up.

Think there is only Sterling we need to sign up the rest be leaving when there contracts runs out. Maybe Kompany might get another year

Contracts that end soon:

Already replaced with Laporte and Stones. They are the future already. Its just about gettign that 3rd/4th Option now.

Jesus, Sane, Mahrez and Sterling(if he re-signs) can all fill in. But i expect us to go out and buy a top striker in the next 2 years.

Irreplaceable finding a player like that is almost impossible - but Bernardo seems to be heir + Foden.

I think he will re-sign - if not we have Sane and Mahrez still and we should fill him jus tfine

Needs a replacemetn asap

Rest are not factors.

Contracts that end soon:

Already replaced with Laporte and Stones. They are the future already. Its just about gettign that 3rd/4th Option now.

Jesus, Sane, Mahrez and Sterling(if he re-signs) can all fill in. But i expect us to go out and buy a top striker in the next 2 years.

Irreplaceable finding a player like that is almost impossible - but Bernardo seems to be heir + Foden.

I think he will re-sign - if not we have Sane and Mahrez still and we should fill him jus tfine

Needs a replacemetn asap

Rest are not factors.

Agree with most of that but Sterling, Gundogan, Delph and Bravo would definitely need replacements.

Contracts that end soon:

Needs a replacemetn asap

Rest are not factors.

This

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.