'Killing The Game' new book

Blogs have become a very valuable part of the discussion space, but I always wonder about the credibility of one that hasn't even bothered to register a real domain for £20 on Wordpress.

"An affection starved puppy" That's a terrible thing to say about you Gary.

Hope you're not too upset about that but if you are have a biscuit, play with your squeaky toy for a while and I'll take you for a walk later. Get down - Later I said!
That’s a bit ruff!

That’s a bit ruff!

Personally, I find it somewhat annoying that the guy who wrote the review has been selective and edited my quote. This is what I am quoted as saying in the book:

"That’s not normal for the owner or Chairman of a club to want to hear the truth. Quite often it’s just, ‘Tell us the good stuff.’” Soon enough, James was face-to-face with Al Mubarak. “So, I sit down with Khaldoon,” says James, “and I’m good at judging people. I’ve always felt like I can sort of sense something in the first few minutes, and when I sat down I just knew that what Khaldoon was going to say was right. I just knew

I just got this warm feeling, which I probably hadn’t had with any other owner of City, ever.” James speaks from experience. “I’ve interviewed every Chairman of City since ‘72,” he says, “and the very first question Khaldoon asked me, not one of the other owners of the Club, or managing directors, or anybody, had ever asked, and that was, ‘How, and why, does this football club exist? What happened?’” The question caught him off guard. “I thought, ‘Right, this isn’t some wealthy owner buying any football club and just thinking they can buy a few players and win the League. This is different.’” Al Mubarak also enquired about some of the key figures in the Club’s history, and James told him the story of Bert Trautmann, who would pass away five years later in July 2013.

There's more to it than that but the stuff about other chairmen and being a good judge adds some context. I was comparing Khaldoon to the others I have interviewed.

i am genuinely interested by this, i am also interested as to whether it's just the mechanics of the takeover and bits and bobs about the ownership or does it have wider context stuff about the direction and make-up of English football ownership?

i am genuinely interested by this, i am also interested as to whether it's just the mechanics of the takeover and bits and bobs about the ownership or does it have wider context stuff about the direction and make-up of English football ownership?
It's the story of the City Football Group and the ten years since the takeover. It's not an analysis of football ownership. The amazon blurb says:

In September 2008, when His Highness Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan sensationally acquired English football’s favourite hard luck story, and began recruiting some of the world’s most talented footballers, the new Manchester City announced itself to a sceptical world.
Over the next ten years, Manchester City was transformed from a place where players trained with rusted weights and torn punching bags to a genuine powerhouse of global football with an elite training campus that is the envy of players and coaches worldwide.
One FA Cup, three League Cups and three Premier League titles later, Manchester City now has only Europe to conquer, while its ownership company, City Football Group, which owns stakes in six football clubs on five continents, was valued at US$3bn in 2015.
The rise of Manchester City from perennial underachievers to Premier League record-breakers has been the biggest story in English football over the last decade. Based on exclusive interviews with more than 50 current and former officials of Manchester City, City Football Group, and Abu Dhabi United Group, this is the definitive inside account of how it happened.
A must read for all City fans, and anybody with an interest in the business of sports, Killing The Game: The Inside Story Behind The Transformation Of Manchester City And The Creation Of City Football Group, takes you inside one of the most audacious rebuilding projects in the history of modern sport.

Personally, I find it somewhat annoying that the guy who wrote the review has been selective and edited my quote. This is what I am quoted as saying in the book:

"That’s not normal for the owner or Chairman of a club to want to hear the truth. Quite often it’s just, ‘Tell us the good stuff.’” Soon enough, James was face-to-face with Al Mubarak. “So, I sit down with Khaldoon,” says James, “and I’m good at judging people. I’ve always felt like I can sort of sense something in the first few minutes, and when I sat down I just knew that what Khaldoon was going to say was right. I just knew

I just got this warm feeling, which I probably hadn’t had with any other owner of City, ever.” James speaks from experience. “I’ve interviewed every Chairman of City since ‘72,” he says, “and the very first question Khaldoon asked me, not one of the other owners of the Club, or managing directors, or anybody, had ever asked, and that was, ‘How, and why, does this football club exist? What happened?’” The question caught him off guard. “I thought, ‘Right, this isn’t some wealthy owner buying any football club and just thinking they can buy a few players and win the League. This is different.’” Al Mubarak also enquired about some of the key figures in the Club’s history, and James told him the story of Bert Trautmann, who would pass away five years later in July 2013.

There's more to it than that but the stuff about other chairmen and being a good judge adds some context. I was comparing Khaldoon to the others I have interviewed.

I can imagine that being quite startling. Was he especially interested in the answers you gave him?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.