What's a good salary?

I earn 20k a year Mrs earns 17.5k add on tax credits for the children and my disability benefit it adds up to a decent amount a month left after bills etc

We rent a council house and don't have many bills other than the necessary and fortunate in that our child care costs are minimal as we pay the kids grandparents to pick the kids up from school and I have an arrangement with work that I can do the morning school runs plus the Mrs gets a day off in the week

We did spend about 7 years living off just my wage though when the kids were tiny then once they got to school age worked very hard to get to where we are now. Used to drive cheap 600 quid cars etc and the car we have now I used redundancy money to buy outright. Used to be skint and haven't forgotten those days so live within our means even though the money we make now could see us with a bigger faster car etc.

Only major expenses are a family holiday every two years or so

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

There's some horrible unfairnesses in our current tax system. One such is the difference in household take home pay, if you have 2 people working versus 1.

I am the sole earner in our household and therefore I get one personal allowance (if I get any at all) and one lower rate band and most of my income is taxed at the higher rate. As compared to my neighbours who both work and who both earn roughly half what I earn. They get 2 personal allowances and at the same time, most of their income avoids higher rates of tax.

The net effect when I last worked it out was that they were about £35 per day, better off than us, every single day. A free meal out, on us, every day. And this is with their household earning precisely the same as ours earns. How can that be fair?

And incidentally, we have no kids, so unlike them we didn't get child benefit either, whereas they do.

Yet I am on of the "rich" who Corbyn wants to tax further, whilst leaving my neighbours untouched. Incidentally, my NHS-employed, 12 weeks holiday year, Labour voting neighbours.

I've had 3 days off this year and had to work weekends and actually on the days off as well. But I am not paying enough tax, apparently??!?! Whereas my neighbours who pay £10k+ less tax are paying more than enough and in fact deserve more benefits.

How many weeks holiday????? I think I need to have a word with HR about my annual leave allowance ................

And your partner isn't paying tax but gets free NHS treatment - walk in centres, GP, A&E, ambulance etc, gets use of the roads for nothing, can use funded rail and travel systems too - and doesn't pay a penny towards it! That's not fair!

If you don't like it, get a shitty job, send the other half out to work and get a couple of kids on board. With the two tax allowances, child benefit,tax credits etc you'll be better off than you are now - and have the joy of children ;-)

The majority of 40 and overs on here will have children so all will be entitled to child benefit so them having kids doesn’t have jack shit to do with you,they both work as you’ve stated what’s the problem find it strange you know the salary of your neighbors next door certainly not something we discuss with our neighbours it’s usually football the garden etc, have you mentioned to them how you feel
Think what @Chippy_boy is getting at is the tax system in general seems to penalise a high earning individual who’s wife/partner may not be working, more than a husband and wife who may jointly have the same household income.
With the child tax credit thing if either the husband or wife exceeds an income of £60k then you get nothing but if a husband and wife are earning £50k each (household income of £100k) they still get the full amount.

Whatever makes you happy, no point in working yourself to the bone though if you have no time to enjoy the fruits of your labor.
I'm jealous of people who make really good money every year but I wouldn't want to be working 60hr weeks + weekends to get it, I'd rather have more free time

How many weeks holiday????? I think I need to have a word with HR about my annual leave allowance ................

And your partner isn't paying tax but gets free NHS treatment - walk in centres, GP, A&E, ambulance etc, gets use of the roads for nothing, can use funded rail and travel systems too - and doesn't pay a penny towards it! That's not fair!

My wife is getting fuck all for free you numpty. I am paying for me, for her and an extra > £12k more already.

There's some horrible unfairnesses in our current tax system. One such is the difference in household take home pay, if you have 2 people working versus 1.

I am the sole earner in our household and therefore I get one personal allowance (if I get any at all) and one lower rate band and most of my income is taxed at the higher rate. As compared to my neighbours who both work and who both earn roughly half what I earn. They get 2 personal allowances and at the same time, most of their income avoids higher rates of tax.

The net effect when I last worked it out was that they were about £35 per day, better off than us, every single day. A free meal out, on us, every day. And this is with their household earning precisely the same as ours earns. How can that be fair?

And incidentally, we have no kids, so unlike them we didn't get child benefit either, whereas they do.

Yet I am on of the "rich" who Corbyn wants to tax further, whilst leaving my neighbours untouched. Incidentally, my NHS-employed, 12 weeks holiday year, Labour voting neighbours.

I've had 3 days off this year and had to work weekends and actually on the days off as well. But I am not paying enough tax, apparently??!?! Whereas my neighbours who pay £10k+ less tax are paying more than enough and in fact deserve more benefits.

I am also in this situation but don't share the same view. I earn good money - double what some on here have described as a good salary, my wife is not working and can bring up our kids without much hassle or needing to work. If both of us worked and we still had the same gross income then our tax bill would be much lower as you say but you are missing the fact that our lives would be exponentially more difficult and as result more expensive. I have no issue with people in that situation paying less tax and I'm no Corbyn fan. Tax should only kick in once you are doing relatively well - taxing low earners is counter productive as it just makes some jobs unviable.

Think what @Chippy_boy is getting at is the tax system in general seems to penalise a high earning individual who’s wife/partner may not be working, more than a husband and wife who may jointly have the same household income.
With the child tax credit thing if either the husband or wife exceeds an income of £60k then you get nothing but if a husband and wife are earning £50k each (household income of £100k) they still get the full amount.
Spot on.

I pay about £12k per year more than next door, even before child tax creak which they get and I get none of that either. The child tax thing is mildly annoying but the big issue is just how much worse off we are, just because only one of us works.

ive just used the gov tax calculator if I earn 36.000 a year have one child and my wife’s not working we don’t qualify for any tax credits at all

Any reason why you both don’t work?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.