What's a good salary?

Unfortunately we have a one size fits all tax system and as it is complicated enough I cannot see it changing. Up until 3 years ago it was possible for a couple to earn over £100 k and pay no tax and very little NI. How ?. Form a limited company, Take a salary each to the value of their personal allowance say £11000. No tax. Take dividends out of the company up to the balance of basic rate say £32000, again no tax. Have Capital Gains up to another £11000, again tax free. Total income £54000 x 2 for a couple = £108000, no tax and only around £1000 in total NI. This gave a take home pay of around £107,000 tax free. If there was only 1 person working, and say it was for someone else and hence all subject to PAYE, as they have no choice, as to how they are paid, to have £107000 take home pay he/she would need to earn what, about £165000, taking in to account tax + NI,plus the loss of his personal allowance as he is deemed to be a high earner. The rules have changed now they tax dividends but as it’s at a lower rate with no NI there are still huge discrepancies depending on how you earn your money and how it is paid out.

Last edited:
I am also in this situation but don't share the same view. I earn good money - double what some on here have described as a good salary, my wife is not working and can bring up our kids without much hassle or needing to work. If both of us worked and we still had the same gross income then our tax bill would be much lower as you say but you are missing the fact that our lives would be exponentially more difficult and as result more expensive. I have no issue with people in that situation paying less tax and I'm no Corbyn fan. Tax should only kick in once you are doing relatively well - taxing low earners is counter productive as it just makes some jobs unviable.

I've long argued that the lowest paid shouldn't be taxed at all. And I have no issue with how much tax my neighbours pay, although incidentally they are not at the bottom end of the scale.

My issue is how much *I* am paying already, which according to Jeremy fucking wanker dickhead **** cretin Corbyn is not enough already. You might notice it fucking pisses me off.

Spot on.

I pay about £12k per year more than next door, even before child tax creak which they get and I get none of that either. The child tax thing is mildly annoying but the big issue is just how much worse off we are, just because only one of us works.

Question for you, why don't you send your missus out to work and earn £12k a year on a part time job?
You'd be making up your tax and you'd still be up theoretically because your wife would have more time to spend with the kids

Yes, but it's not relevant nor for discussion here.
I understand it may not be for discussion but it is relevant. You can never tax people based on who lives in a household, it must be a personal thing. How would you like it to be?

Question for you, why don't you send your missus out to work and earn £12k a year on a part time job?
You'd be making up your tax and you'd still be up theoretically because your wife would have more time to spend with the kids
We have no kids. There's reasons she can't work - I won't go into it here.

I understand it may not be for discussion but it is relevant. You can never tax people based on who lives in a household, it must be a personal thing. How would you like it to be?

Well for a start, I see no reason why unused personal allowance should not be transferrable between married couples or people in civil partnerships. As it stands, that's only allowed to a limited extent (a poxy grand), unless you're earning a massive £40k-odd a year or more in which case tough shit: you're deemed to be "rolling in it" and un-needing of such support.

My wife is getting fuck all for free you numpty. I am paying for me, for her and an extra > £12k more already.

How much tax is she actually paying though?

A single man with no kids earning exactly the same as you would pay the same amount of tax as you, but not have a partner getting free NHS etc - where's the fairness in that? I think you should pay MORE tax as you've got a partner getting what is effectively free NHS cover, able to use the roads us tax payers pay to have laid, maintained, patrolled etc, pay the same for rail travel as we do ................ you should have to pay a supplement - why should single people have to pay for your partners 'benefits'?

Well for a start, I see no reason why unused personal allowance should not be transferrable between married couples or people in civil partnerships. As it stands, that's only allowed to a limited extent (a poxy grand), unless you're earning a massive £40k-odd a year or more in which case tough shit: you're deemed to be "rolling in it" and un-needing of such support.

But why should couples be given preferential treatment to single people?

How much tax is she actually paying though?

A single man with no kids earning exactly the same as you would pay the same amount and tax as you does but not have a partner getting free NHS etc - where's the fairness in that? I think you should pay MORE tax as you've got a partner getting what is effectively free NHS cover, able to use the roads us tax payers pay to have laid, maintained, patrolled etc, pay the same for rail travel as we do ................ you should have to pay a supplement.

Let me try again, because amazingly, you still don't seem to have grasped it.

Next door has 2 adults (and until recently 2 kids). They use 2 lots of NHS, roads and everything else you mention. They have 2 incomes.

Our household has 2 adults in it. We also use 2 lots of NHS, roads and everything else. We use the same as them. Our income is the same as theirs.

But we pay £12,000 more in tax every year than they do.

Get it now?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.