Alan Shearer

Super Joey Hart

As a 25 year old I can’t really remember much of Shearer and his style of play so just wanted to ask a few older heads about the bloke.

Soon as anyone talks about ‘best premier league striker ever’ his name never ever seems to get mentioned, whys that? The goal scoring record is absolutely staggering and he’s out there in a league of his own in that respect. Maybe it’s because he’s English and not a fancy foreigner or didn’t play for Liverpool/Rags who knows!

He always gets mentioned as one of the best premier league strikers around. A goal machine and an old fashioned tough centre forward that had everything. He also came back from two horrific injuries too.

Must say I don't really agree that his name is not mentioned when discussing best PL strikers.
It usually is when I hear the discussion and rightly so, he was excellent.
Lead the line well great shot , good in the air great movement off the ball
Maybe not the finest in technique but a seriously good striker

He wasnt one for fancy tricks and lightning pace like Thierry Henry, but he is the best finisher I've ever seen. Always struck it hard and true and always in the corners, hence the brilliant strike rate. Also he had a bullet header, and penalties were always top notch so as a goalscorer he had no real weaknesses.

As a 25 year old I can’t really remember much of Shearer and his style of play so just wanted to ask a few older heads about the bloke.

Soon as anyone talks about ‘best premier league striker ever’ his name never ever seems to get mentioned, whys that? The goal scoring record is absolutely staggering and he’s out there in a league of his own in that respect. Maybe it’s because he’s English and not a fancy foreigner or didn’t play for Liverpool/Rags who knows!
He was superb as a young player and at Blackburn.

I think it's more just the discussions these days tend to be "best foreign striker", like we often see when Sergio is talked about.

Which I suppose you can look at as either unfair or a sly means to put English strikers on a level of their own.

Granted, he probably was.

Closest equivalent today would be Lewandowski or an on fire Torres but much better. Leathal finisher, pace and power. Great in the air. Very physical, dirty he even had time to shit Roy Keane right up. Just a total all round striker.
Scored some outstanding goals, some very technical finishes and some true thunderbolts.
He was relentless like Harry Kane, just scored game after game, thank fuck he snubbed United, they'd have won even more.

Full bellend mind.

I remember a game at The Etihad where he banged one in very early on. Thankfully I was looking down at my feet and didn't see it!We went on to win, though, so not too bad a day. He was the last, I think, of the old fashioned CFs - powerful in both feet, bullet header of the ball. I also remember the time he 'trod' on Neil Lennon's face and didn't particularly improve it!

He was an unbelievable talent who didn't need the pass or cross to be precise he would just bully and get there and smash it in his his head or boot. Considering thr Newcastle side he played in was good but not exceptional his scoring record is pretty incredible although he did play in an era when many professionals were half cut from the night before still during the game.

I kniw many Cit fans do not like him but he turned down the rags to go to his hometown club so I always respect him for that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.