The Cooking Class

Henkeman

Now I have to admit, I've never been much of a cook. It's been mostly done for me, to my shame, and I'm sick of popping out and nabbing a takeaway when I'm on my own.

So I've decided to learn to cook. The missus has stood over me and answered my stupid questions, and thus far I've produced a really not bad cottage pie, and a curry. Stir frys, yep they're easy, but I'm going through that process of learning.

Cookbooks have a level of assumed knowledge that's quite frustrating, especially in timings where I've a tendency to overcook for fear of it being undercooked.

So if you have a tasty, simple recipe that helps to build up my confidence, and if you can write it in plain English that doesn't make me ask "what the fuck does that mean?", then I would love to hear from you and make a middle aged man eat real food rather than crap.

I look on google ,easy hot pot ,easy curry ect ect,and it usually takes me to the bbc cookery section ,loads of easy recipes to follow giving you step by step,nothing better than going out buying all the ingredients and knocking up a lovely surprise family meal for when everybody gets home.

I find it easier to follow videos than cook books, because you can see what it's supposed to look like at each stage. The thing that annoys me the most is how it's always assumed you're cooking for four people.

Now I have to admit, I've never been much of a cook. It's been mostly done for me, to my shame, and I'm sick of popping out and nabbing a takeaway when I'm on my own.

So I've decided to learn to cook. The missus has stood over me and answered my stupid questions, and thus far I've produced a really not bad cottage pie, and a curry. Stir frys, yep they're easy, but I'm going through that process of learning.

Cookbooks have a level of assumed knowledge that's quite frustrating, especially in timings where I've a tendency to overcook for fear of it being undercooked.

So if you have a tasty, simple recipe that helps to build up my confidence, and if you can write it in plain English that doesn't make me ask "what the fuck does that mean?", then I would love to hear from you and make a middle aged man eat real food rather than crap.
Good old fashioned corned beef hash mate. It's comfort food weather, I made it recently.

6-8 good sized potatoes ( I like Maris Piper)
3 medium carrots
1 onion
I large tin of good quality corned beef (John West or Princess) as far content and salt is lower. (Refrigerate first)
2 Oxo cubes
I tablespoon of Worcester sauce
Season with black(or white) pepper

Finely chop onion and put into a large saucepan with about half a pint of water. Add oxo cubes and bring to simmer. Chop carrots to 1cm squares, some smaller, add to onions 5 mins later. Peel spuds and chop a third of them fine (3mm square) a third 1 cm, other third 1" cubes. Add to pan, simmer for 20-30 mins, adding Worcester sauce and pepper(to taste)

Take corned beef from fridge and scrape any fat off the sides, chop to 1" cubes, add 5 mins before hash is ready(test biggest pieces of spuds and carrots with fork), put pan lid on, cook corned RF 5 minutes, gently stir meat into veg and hey presto, dead easy corned beef hash.

Serve with red cabbage or baby picked beetroots and maybe garlic bread.

Enjoy: )

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.