So I'm mental. Let's talk about it.

Damocles

Administrator
Inspired by an article wrote by @Lucky Toma a little while back and Mental Health Awareness campaign, I wrote about living with OCD.

Article is here

http://www.thedaisycutter.co.uk/2018/10/im-mental-lets-talk-life-ocd/

I'm pretty sure I've heard them all so feel free to get them out of your system.

In seriousness, I'm pretty nervous about this as I'm an obsessively private person at the best of times so if you could not be bastards about this then that would be great.

The article covers what OCD is, how it works, how it affects my life and is an attempt to have the same impact on somebody out there that Stes article did with me.

I read it. An interesting description which made me understand that there's much more than the clichés of washing your hands repeatedly etc.

My only connection with OCD is this: when I do the daily school run, I park in the same place. There's an old woman who parks near who is often waiting by her car as I park up. I have to look in her window and tell her that the handbrake is on before she will leave the car. It sounds to me, having read your piece, that I've become part of her routine!

Good luck with it.

Just want to say thanks for this article mate. It was great, and personally, I felt like I needed to read this. Cheers - genuinely. I've had a spell in the past month or so where I've felt pretty anxious/lost/confused/lacking direction, and this really put things into perspective for me. When I think about it, i'm okay really, and i'm a lucky bastard too. I've never really understood OCD, mainly because I've never taken any time to look into it in any great detail, and this is really fascinating insight into how it affects people. Takes a shit load of courage to put this out on the internet, but if it sows one seed for someone else, like Ste's article did, then it was worth it. Thanks for explaining it all and all the best with living with this.

Great read and as already mentioned, it helps to show that there is more to OCD than just the clichés. I personally can become a bit wound up about changes to plans - not enough for it to prevent me from doing things but enough for me to resist and argue about whatever needs to be done.

Great piece of writing and very well done for writing it.
Thanks also for all the work you put in here.

Well done for having the courage to write that and it is brilliant the way you manage to describe it. OCD's are, as you say, generally assumed to be minor habits that people have that are simple and unlikely to impact their overall quality of life.

As you say, it can be quite different. It isn't something that I suffer from but I appreciate gaining an understanding into it.

I have a habit of repeatedly pressing the lock function on my car key fob on my way through the car park into my work. I don’t know why I do it but I get quite anxious if I don’t check and double check. It’s pretty much the only part of my life where I do this

Having said that I do worry a lot. If I think I’ve done something wrong at work I obsess a little and worry about it till I can get back in and check

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.