England Football Style

Gorton_Tubster

Team supported
Manchester City
Seems to me, since Pep came to this country the styl of play in the England team has changed to the same style. We are more creative and brave in attacking, the players he picks are players with finesse and actual talent. (As opposed to just any big name from Utd/Liv/Ars)

I remember when Southgate first started and he was picking Stones in defence (Despite his errors at that time) becuase of his ability to play from the back. In fact there was Hart as well at the time (And a few others) and the style changed noticeably to the way City play, I remember saying at the time that they're copying City!

Since then, England have really pressed on with playing this more creative and attractive football and the team are definately improving, I expect them to be getting to quarters and semi's again in future.

My question though is do you think Pep has altered the style of our international team. And do you think City will actually get the recognition for changing the face of the footballing landscape in this country?

Remember, without City spending the money, investing in the actual talent that could play that way, bringing in Pep, setting up a template for how to run a club... Without all that we would still be watching Utd hoofball and its various incarnations throughout the premier. Liverpool for example wouldnt have spent and bought the actual talent they have without City doing what we did last season.

I understand what you're saying, but nearly every goal England scored at the World Cup was from a set-piece. I think Southgate would like to play more expansive, attractive football, but it's going to take time.

Seems to me, since Pep came to this country the styl of play in the England team has changed to the same style. We are more creative and brave in attacking, the players he picks are players with finesse and actual talent. (As opposed to just any big name from Utd/Liv/Ars)

I remember when Southgate first started and he was picking Stones in defence (Despite his errors at that time) becuase of his ability to play from the back. In fact there was Hart as well at the time (And a few others) and the style changed noticeably to the way City play, I remember saying at the time that they're copying City!

Since then, England have really pressed on with playing this more creative and attractive football and the team are definately improving, I expect them to be getting to quarters and semi's again in future.

My question though is do you think Pep has altered the style of our international team. And do you think City will actually get the recognition for changing the face of the footballing landscape in this country?

Remember, without City spending the money, investing in the actual talent that could play that way, bringing in Pep, setting up a template for how to run a club... Without all that we would still be watching Utd hoofball and its various incarnations throughout the premier. Liverpool for example wouldnt have spent and bought the actual talent they have without City doing what we did last season.
In answer to your question is most definitely yes, pep even offered his advice, if it was wanted.
City or pep won’t get any recognition but I know, you know and every city fan knows, what is happening.

Liverpool did try it under Rodgers, but he and his team were ridiculed for it after conceding a few silly goals.
Bet Rodgers is spewing at Liverpool owners/fans shortsightedness.

Clearly England are a tad less exciting to watch than City. But it’s also clear Southgate admires Pep, has studied him and been influenced by him.

To give an amusing little illustration, Pickford was attempting an Ederson when he fcuked up the other day. That would never have happened a year ago. Although it went wrong, it still makes the point. As does the new tendency to mix playing out from the back with the occasional surprise long ball.

To your second question, I believe Pep WILL get recognition in the fullness of time for making a significant impact on the English game.

I understand what you're saying, but nearly every goal England scored at the World Cup was from a set-piece. I think Southgate would like to play more expansive, attractive football, but it's going to take time.

Did you not see the three they scored in midweek?

Much of football has changed to the ballplaying style, not just England. How much is down to any individual is open to question, but I don't think that much is down to Guardiola coming to City specifically. It's far too short a period, and with no lead-in period really; Stones is at least in part a happy coincidence that he matured enough to be able to do it. England have had the odd defender who could play out over the years - Ferdinand wasn't bad at it.

Rule changes have probably had an effect, but it's almost certainly seeped in over several years. Some will be down to Guardiola's Barcelona team.

I do think City last season reduced resistance to a change, as did appointing a younger manager not set in his ways, and also the fiasco of dinosauric Euro 2016.

but I don't think that much is down to Guardiola coming to City specifically. It's far too short a period, and with no lead-in period really;

Worth noting that Southgate was the man behind the England youth strategy almost a decade ago. I doubt it's a coincidence that all the young England teams have been focused upon the technical side. In that sense, I'd say Guardiola has been instrumental, but more his time at Barca than anywhere else.

I believe that Southgate did spend some time at the City Academy,so perhaps he was discussing with Pep,how best to use a system with the type of players at his disposal.
I remember Pep actually stating that he would like to lend a hand to the England manager.
You only have to watch over the last few games how England like to play out from the back to see that Southgate has been influenced by Pep.
Perhaps he needs to ask Maureen how best to park a bus,should he need help in that department.

Worth noting that Southgate was the man behind the England youth strategy almost a decade ago. I doubt it's a coincidence that all the young England teams have been focused upon the technical side. In that sense, I'd say Guardiola has been instrumental, but more his time at Barca than anywhere else.

Better put than me, but similar idea.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.