Ian Thompstone

City_Shirts

Ian Thompstone is not a name that rolls off the tongue of many, if any Blues supporters, unless that is you were a diehard Blue during the mid to late 1980’s. Thompstone, a product of City’s conveyor belt of 1980’s academy talent, was a FA Youth Cup runner up with the Blues in 1989, losing to Watford in a two-legged Final but it was almost a year earlier that he was thrust into first team duties as an injury hit City squad travelled to Middlesbrough on April 9th 1988, called into action off the bench to replace the injured Trevor Morley, Ian duly scored with his second touch, making his him the youngest known goal scorer in the clubs history, a feat that stood until January 2013 and broken by Marcos Lopes. Ian never appeared for the City first team again and left the club in 1990, transferring to Oldham Athletic.

MCMP Page spoke to Ian recently on his memories of his time with the Blues.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1653960338212329/

Last edited:
I used to work with Tommo.

Said he had the best goal scoring stats you'll see - scored in 100% of the games he played in.
P 1 Goals 1

My first visit to Ayresome Park. I was only 16 and remember it going off all over the place. Never been as relieved to get the fuck out of a place in my life.

Is he a Bolton lad? I'm sure I played football with his brother Steve. I played for besses boys and he played for radcliffe juniors in the mid 80s and we both played for the inter league.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.