Squad Strengthening In Not So Distant Future

We all suspect Frankie de Jong wants to join Barca. But I do not think Barca can afford him. Which begs the question. If City blow Barca out of the water with a bid does frenkie have a say on who he joins?

Ajax will want as much money as they can get but the player holds the power at the end of the day.

Over the next couple of years we have some ageing players that have been crucial for us whose contracts are up.

Contracts that end soon:
Kompany - 2019 (may retire and moved into a financial role)
Merlin - 2020 (back home to Spain to spend some much deserved family time)
Sterling - 2020 (may be sold before hand unless a new deal is signed)
Fernandinho - 2020 (may retire)
Gundogan - 2020 (wants to sign new deal apparently)
Delph - 2020 (not a clue)
Bravo - 2020 (not a clue)

We’re possibly looking at another rebuilding job if they all leave and we wouldn’t want to do that in one window I’d imagine with Brexit making foreign signings more difficult and FFP making a resurgence.

Replacements for Agüero and Silva being the most difficult IMO.

Thoughts? Who’d be your replacements?
Kompany, the better Stones plays the longer Kompany will on a rolling contract
Merlin, Bernardo is already here
Sterling, If he does not sign sell buy Bailey their style of play is almost identical
Fernandinho, the only player with no back up FDJ the one we need first
Gundogan, a back up,Ndombele
Delph, a back up Chilwell just signed a new contract
Bravo, a back up Muric
as for Aguero when the time comes players like Mbappe and Neymar will be realistic targets

Really think Icardi would be great for us. I’d be more than happy to have Sterling, Sane or Mahrez (or even Bernardo) as a False 9, but this is assuming Sterling signs/we get a replacement.

Some think his style might not suit us, but:

1) His movement in the box ties up defenders, so even if he doesn’t track back/harry the opposition in possession, they’re having to give up a player to mark him, giving us a numerical advantage.

2) Pep is the best manager in the world. He can get him to suit our system. He did it with Aguero and Jesus and can’t see any reason why he couldn’t with Icardi.

3) We still miss a lot of big chances, even Pep has said so. He’s one of the best finishers in the world and the only one I can think of that is realistic.

4) Inter have been spending lots recently, and while they’re a strong team and in the CL, they’re still a way off the league. He won’t be cheap, but given Icardi’s issues with the Ultras in the past, maybe they’d consider a bid.

5) Chelsea, Madrid and United want him. I know we’ve dodged bullets with Sanchez and Fred, but Icardi has proven his ability for the past 4 years, in a defensive league, and would clearly improve them.

It seems pretty clear that Ndombele, Dejong and Neves are amongst our targets.
I have really only seen much of Neves
For those who have seen them what is the order of preference of getting them?
De Jong

Ndombele
Neves.

Such a big gap :)
What is that you think Ndombele lacks in terms of ability ?
Ajax way of playing is helping FDJ to express himself more and Ndombele does not have this opportunity, isn't it?
Talent wise, I think they are quite similar. But in terms of fit, I believe De Jong is a better fit.

The gap thing was a bit tongue in cheek. I'd be extatic with either, but I think De Jong is a better fit.

Ederson v De Gea. Both are great but one seems a far better fit than the other.

Over the next couple of years we have some ageing players that have been crucial for us whose contracts are up.

Contracts that end soon:
Kompany - 2019 (may retire and moved into a financial role)
Merlin - 2020 (back home to Spain to spend some much deserved family time)
Sterling - 2020 (may be sold before hand unless a new deal is signed)
Fernandinho - 2020 (may retire)
Gundogan - 2020 (wants to sign new deal apparently)
Delph - 2020 (not a clue)
Bravo - 2020 (not a clue)

We’re possibly looking at another rebuilding job if they all leave and we wouldn’t want to do that in one window I’d imagine with Brexit making foreign signings more difficult and FFP making a resurgence.

Replacements for Agüero and Silva being the most difficult IMO.

Thoughts? Who’d be your replacements?
For me the only ones that need replacing in the market is Fern and Delph as left back cover. For the rest its time to let Academy players make their cases.

Talent wise, I think they are quite similar. But in terms of fit, I believe De Jong is a better fit.

The gap thing was a bit tongue in cheek. I'd be extatic with either, but I think De Jong is a better fit.

Ederson v De Gea. Both are great but one seems a far better fit than the other.
Not sure I understood your point.
Ederson vs Degea is something like Xabi Alonso vs Kante. Both are central midfielders and pretty good ones at that but totally different imo.

Not sure I understood your point.
Ederson vs Degea is something like Xabi Alonso vs Kante. Both are central midfielders and pretty good ones at that but totally different imo.
Exactly! Then you understand my point.

2 very talented players can be disproportionately more valuable for different teams. I think De Gea is disproportionately more valuable for City, and Ndombele would have been disproportionately more valuable for say Liverpool or United.

Albeit both woywo be good for any team bevabec of how talented they are.

Exactly! Then you understand my point.

2 very talented players can be disproportionately more valuable for different teams. I think De Gea is disproportionately more valuable for City, and Ndombele would have been disproportionately more valuable for say Liverpool or United.

Albeit both woywo be good for any team bevabec of how talented they are.
Ok then I understood you, but disagree. I don't think they are as different as Alonso and Kante. I believe Ndombele could be as good as Fern in our system, which Kante won't be

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.