Aeroplanes of the Second World War

The Japanese Zero.

Jap%20Zero.jpg
Loved that plane among the most, sure was almost obsolete by 1944 but the philosophy of sacrificing all other aspects for pure performance was not rivalled by any other of that era

I do some plastic kit bashing as a relaxation thing and the kit standard these days as well as refined techniques makes it an entirely different hobby as it was when I was a spotty 12 year old Herbert with glue all over my fingers and splodging humbrol enamels all over the kit, currently doing a BF 109 E in 1/48 scale and the detail is magnificent, a couple of manufacturers are releasing a 1/32 Lancaster, I haven’t a shelf big enough to hold the bleeder

The Airfix Lancaster kit was black plastic so after the transfers were attached (soaked in a cup o warm water) it looked good without any paint.

If you really support underdogs you would love the Defiant I guess.

Yeah I mean why does a fighter have a turret ffs........ I feel really sorry for the lads at the beginning of the war sent out in Battles, Defiants and Gladiators - totally outclassed and they were just cannon fodder really.

My Airfix BP Defiant was in black - night fighter where it at least had a modicum of success.

220px-Hells_Angels%2C_Flying_Tigers_1942.jpg

Flying_Tigers_personnel.jpg

Probably the main reason for my love of the P40 Warhawk is the story of the Flying Tigers. I read a book about them when I was young and have read more as I've become an adult.

I suppose I admire these men for volunteering to fight and defend a country they likely had no attachment to in a war their nation wasn't yet a participant in. It's my understanding they were paid 3x what they made in the US military but I can't imagine that's the only reason they joined.

Their kill ratio to planes lost was amazing, 297 to 14. These boys could fly!! Their mechanics did incredible work with limited resources as well.

didn't they also never equip the Zero with armour to protect the pilot in order to keep the weight down and performance up?
Also no self sealing fuel tanks, which admittedly was not standard when the Zero was first made but was much more common as the was went on.
But the weight would have shaved a few knots off the top speed, can't have that I suppose..

I've always loved the Vaught Corsair since I had a pack of Top Trump aircraft back in the 70's. It flew the highest from memory.

Just finished reading "Nemesis" by Max Hastings about the campaign against Japan in 1944-45. I didn't realise how dominant the Hellcat was against the Zero in the Pacific air battles which was one of the reasons why the Japanese resorted to kamikaze.

My other WW2 fave plane was the Typhoon. And the Sunderland - I had an airfix Sunderland that took me weeks to make.

At the RAF Museum in Hendon they have the fuselage of a Sunderland you can walk through. I was astonished at how little actual room there was inside to move about. The museum in general is brilliant.

The courage of these people is amazing. I remember having a close look at a Hurricane and deciding I wouldn't have the bottle to go up in it, let alone fight in it. They were all heroes.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.