Sunderland In League One. / Netflix documentary (P9)

I've not stopped laughing from the episode where the cabby bemoaned the fact that the Daily Mail didn't have a line reporting the latest Sunderland game and concluded with 'Tory bastards!" Welcome to the RDAHMeedya, Mackems!

Anyone know who that footballer is whose picture is painted on the gable end?

I've not stopped laughing from the episode where the cabby bemoaned the fact that the Daily Mail didn't have a line reporting the latest Sunderland game and concluded with 'Tory bastards!" Welcome to the RDAHMeedya, Mackems!

Anyone know who that footballer is whose picture is painted on the gable end?

It's Raich Carter...FA Cup winning captain in 1937, and first division winning captain 1936

Always had a soft spot for Sunderland! Was a schoolboy up there and the Chief Scout always gave me a “generous” expense packet for my trips up from Manchester!

Train?
£2, sir.
So, first class was probably £5, so £10 round trip. What about food?
Didn’t eat, sir. Had breakfast at home.
OK, well, take £3 home to your Mum for the breakfast you would have had on the train, and another for something in the way home.
How about from the station to the ground?
Took the bus, sir.
Bus, lad? Well, a taxi would have been £3 at least, so let’s call that an even £3 here and back, shall we?!
Anything else, son?
No, sir, that’d be wonderful.
Right then, sign here and I’ll get you the readies.

Used to come home aged 14-15 with about £20 in my pocket, and the apprentices were only being paid £20/week, plus digs and food!! They treated young lads so well up there!

Their player digs were a hostel, which was more like a hotel, on the front, and the place was really nice, as were the people who ran it. Back then, the training ground seemed like it was out in the middle of nowhere to me and always windy as hell! When Jimmy Armfield left for Leeds, he took me with him.

On my first day there for training, I wore my Sunderland shirt and the youth team manager almost fucking throttled me! I told him that if he had a Leeds shirt I could wear, I’d be happy to change it. If not, it was all I had. He sent me to the kit ladies, who were adjacent to the first team dressing rooms and boot room. When they saw me and I told them the story, they had a good old laugh! Anyway, they gave me a really rare red Leeds shirt with a 9 on the back. Embroidered LUFC on the breast and everything! Apparently, it was something they had worn in Europe and not needed again. At 15, I thought I was the bees knees...hahaha!

Anyway, when I got back, the rest of the lads were already up on the training pitches, which used to be across from the main entrance, just up a steep slope. Fella got hold of me and told me he never wanted to see a Sunderland shirt...or ANY other teams shirt... on me ever again! Luckily, I still got to wear it regularly because my school colors were red and blue, which is what my Sunderland shirt was (around 1978), so I used to wear it to play for Ashton Grammar!

Ah, the good old days! Will always have a soft spot for Sunderland...and my favorite City player as a lad even came from there...Dennis Tueart!

Watched it all last night,it was like City’s position 20 years ago,Ellis Short did the right thing in the end by clearing their debts and selling the club as they have started afresh with interested owners who have the funds to get them back up where they belong in the Premier league.

What an absolute twat Rodwell was, disgusting the way he treated the club, when it was obviously in so much trouble.

I know it wasn't his fault the club didn't have a relegation clause in his contract, but even so, as a (probable) multi-millionaire already, he should have swallowed his pride and done the right thing.

Do you have to pay for this? I’d like to see Chris Coleman in it. Still annoyed in how he left Wales but still admire our Euro 2016 heroics.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.