What would you say constitutes a hard core fan?

Train back home as a 14 year old to sunny Hampshire after a 3pm kick off. Can't believe my old man let me travel such distances but it sure was fun. He would also remember to pick me up from the local train station, mostly. It was only a 20 minute walk anyway. Near midnight. Across 2 major roads.

Like Alf. Abused for most of my younger life by a multitude of southern reds, gooners etc etc but I knew. I was special. And so were my team. Having a southern accent also helped a lot at away games, especially London.

Since then? European away days. London piss ups. Away disasters. Home triumphs.

After 46 years it's ingrained. Met some lovely people, some sadly departed, some sadly not ;) but I wouldn't have swapped it for the world.

I went to Newcastle when we won the title in 1968 on my own, told my mam I was going with friends,I was 13 at the time, I was with familiar people on the Yelloway coach as a lot used to go on the match bus from Langley,I still go to the home games since I moved to Glasgow.

I think it's the ones who go to every home game but dont open their mouths to support the team. Week in, week out. Loads of them in SS3 near me. Don't know why they bother.

I went to Newcastle when we won the title in 1968 on my own, told my mam I was going with friends,I was 13 at the time, I was with familiar people on the Yelloway coach as a lot used to go on the match bus from Langley,I still go to the home games since I moved to Glasgow.

I also was at that game as a 13 year old a few weeks before my 14th birthday. Travelled up with my estranged father on a flat bed truck full of mad Blues from Ardwick (which was almost 100% City then). I remember seeing one of my classmates from school (Central Grammar / Central High School for Boys) crying his eyes out on the pitch after the final whistle.

This game has the unofficial record for the most away fans ever in England by the way.

In the mid 90s through to about 2003 regular journeys from places like Portsmouth, Poole, Exmouth, Plymouth, to Maine Road. Brutal weekends with all that travelling and mostly a lot of shite football.

Not many aways during that time, due mostly from being away with work, although got to a few the 98/99 season - but not York :)

Don't get to many games nowadays - work, my family, and distance being the major factor.

Far from hardcore, just fucking love watching City however I can from wherever I happen to be.

I'll be in the Matchday Thread tomorrow evening. See some of ya there :)

Don't know about hard core but remember going away mid week Blackburn early 60s aged 10 on train and getting back after midnight, I told mum it was at Maine rd,still at primary school (Peacock street) also midweek cup replay Elm park Reading won 7-0 only time we have ever scored 7 away from home.Been going home and away for 56 years but don't do many these days so probably a part timer.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.