Pep - no signings coming in in January

Apparently Fabregas is available. Could he provide cover for Dinho?
These days he does play a bit deeper doesn't he? Or would it be like having another Gundongan?
Not the worst shout that. He puts his foot in more that’s for sure. Not the player he was though. He’s a winner with good experience.

If Pep says that there are no signings come January - I believe him. That said - we haven't signed anyone similar/suitable to truly backup/replace Fernandinho. Signing such a replacement in the winter window is unlikely - nonetheless - we should have signed a quality DM several windows ago.

It's simple, if no signings come in. City are an injury away from not winning a competition like the champions league. I thought the January window was a time and opportunity to strengthen if needed. It can make a difference.

Not the worst shout that. He puts his foot in more that’s for sure. Not the player he was though. He’s a winner with good experience.
Absolutely not, City would be committing suicide playing a player like Cesc in Ferns role. Just like with Jorg, I think the club dodged a bullet with him. I don't see how he could of fitted into this system. His lack of pace when running back to his goal is ridiculous, and many times he would be bypassed in this system. Even the Chelsea fans don't like him shielding the defense for the very same reason.

Ferns replacement must have high energy and be able to cover a lot of ground and of course be a fighter. Torreira would of been a great shout.

Both the last times we have had a glaring weakness in the team(strength in depth) Pep has identified them and done the business mid-season(Laporte, G.Jesus).

I don't believe for a second that he doesn't see the need for a LB and CDM. I therefore assume that there is just not the money being made available and somewhat rightfully so. Pep must have been happy with the squad in the summer and chose to sign Mahrez, a luxury signing as it's probably our strongest area in terms of depth. He identified a CDM but put all his eggs in the Jorginho basket without a back-up option and then after missing out and at the time being happy with the rest of the squad has spent the money on luxury. I reckon had we not signed Mahrez we'd be seeing a De Jong/Ndombele/Someoneelse rocking up here in January.

Both the last times we have had a glaring weakness in the team(strength in depth) Pep has identified them and done the business mid-season(Laporte, G.Jesus).

I don't believe for a second that he doesn't see the need for a LB and CDM. I therefore assume that there is just not the money being made available and somewhat rightfully so. Pep must have been happy with the squad in the summer and chose to sign Mahrez, a luxury signing as it's probably our strongest area in terms of depth. He identified a CDM but put all his eggs in the Jorginho basket without a back-up option and then after missing out and at the time being happy with the rest of the squad has spent the money on luxury. I reckon had we not signed Mahrez we'd be seeing a De Jong/Ndombele rocking up here in January.
If that last bit is true then it makes the signing of Mahrez more frustrating.

I don't believe for a second that he doesn't see the need for a LB and CDM. I therefore assume that there is just not the money being made available and somewhat rightfully so. Pep must have been happy with the squad in the summer and chose to sign Mahrez, a luxury signing as it's probably our strongest area in terms of depth. He identified a CDM but put all his eggs in the Jorginho basket without a back-up option and then after missing out and at the time being happy with the rest of the squad has spent the money on luxury. I reckon had we not signed Mahrez we'd be seeing a De Jong/Ndombele/Someoneelse rocking up here in January.
I'm pretty sure we were negotiating for Mahrez long before the Jorginho deal fell through, so the money from that should still be available

I'm pretty sure we were negotiating for Mahrez long before the Jorginho deal fell through, so the money from that should still be available
Pretty sure the money is available , if the right player is available, we won't spend it on a stop gap in Januarry that is hard to shift and reduces our budget for the right player when they are available.. We will be looking longer term than the second half of this season.

Yeah but if you recall, it was between Fred and Mahrez. Neither came but were obvious targets. Fred ends up at United/Jorginho becomes the target. That also falls through so we go back to Mahrez and bite the bullet.

Roll around Jan 2019 and after pushing hard in the previous 2 windows for a cdm, you're telling me Pep suddenly doesnt want one when there's a hatful of good options?

I expect the windows of £200mil+ spends are gone and we are looking to start closing the gap between our in and out transfer numbers, promoting more youth and buying/budgeting after we sell. Say what you want about Spurs being bottlers but they have a fantastic squad having net spent nothing on it and i'd hazard a guess we are looking to emulate that somewhat in the future(along with Chelsea's buy cheap and young, loan out then sell for a profit model)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.