Ground Source Heat Pumps - Advice needed

Mike N

Doing an assignment for Uni and wondered if anyone out there is familiar with these in a domestic setting?

I know quite a bit about Heat Pumps in relation to Air conditioning/Heating air to air direct expansion type, not had much to do with Geo Thermal HP's but they work on the same or similar principal.

Cheers Nimrod. What I need to know is can a heat source pump provide full central heating and water for a house, without the need to be topped up at peak times with conventional heating, gas or electric. The project is to do with retrofitting an old, grade 2 listed house.

Lots of these in new builds in Cornwall....no Gas locally

many complaints......need bigger Rads .....etc....not warm enough blah blah

Noisy pumps in everyones gardens

It absolutely can, but it's a question of whether it is most economical compared to, say, air/water heat pumps. Here in Sweden the break point is usually quoted at about 135m2 floorspace.

Our place in Stockholm is in a co-operative with about 500 apartments and we moved over to geothermal heating about 6 years ago. We've got 7 different boreholes supplying exchangers that previously were supplied from remote generation plants. Saved us a fortune.

If i remember there was a question mark about if it would need topping up when it got below -10C (?) but as it turned out we haven't needed to yet. Apparently the capacity is always an estimate or within a range and you never know until you bore. We got lucky.

But, we're well insulated here so we don't lose the heat - that may be your biggest concern in a listed building.

Lots of these in new builds in Cornwall....no Gas locally

many complaints......need bigger Rads .....etc....not warm enough blah blah

Noisy pumps in everyones gardens

Thanks Pal.

Interesting to know about the situation in Cornwall. Do you know if that is the house's only form of heat?

Knew about the bigger radiators required. Didnt know about the noisy pumps.

As the recirc temp is lower than conventional central heating you need significantly larger heat transfer surfaces from either radiators or underfloor heating. You need a reasonable plot size to accommodate the coils outside, boreholes can be pricey. it's best to have trickle heating on for extended periods, rather than on/off as we are used to in U.K. Not really economically viable compared to conventional systems. So unless you have no access to gas it's not really a starter at the moment.Their time will come especially if you consider micro generating the electricity on site. You'd make more financial gains on your listed building by optimising heat loss e.g. Insulation etc.
Loads of stuff on internet if you search around.

Thanks Pal.

Interesting to know about the situation in Cornwall. Do you know if that is the house's only form of heat?

Knew about the bigger radiators required. Didnt know about the noisy pumps.
Its like an air conditioning unit in your garden.

I was looking at buying new build houses in Cornwall and the only form of heating available often etc was these pumps....

I've read good and bad opinions.

I preferred Gas option so didnt buy.

Maybe I'm mixed up with Air source heat pump though

It absolutely can, but it's a question of whether it is most economical compared to, say, air/water heat pumps. Here in Sweden the break point is usually quoted at about 135m2 floorspace.

Our place in Stockholm is in a co-operative with about 500 apartments and we moved over to geothermal heating about 6 years ago. We've got 7 different boreholes supplying exchangers that previously were supplied from remote generation plants. Saved us a fortune.

If i remember there was a question mark about if it would need topping up when it got below -10C (?) but as it turned out we haven't needed to yet. Apparently the capacity is always an estimate or within a range and you never know until you bore. We got lucky.

But, we're well insulated here so we don't lose the heat - that may be your biggest concern in a listed building.

That's great. Not really bothered about the cost (!) as it's for a project. Your last point is the reason I'm thinking of a GSHP is that the property is solid brick and will continue to lose a good bit of heat. Certainly cant whack a load of external insulation on although I am proposing other internal insulation improvements.

As the recirc temp is lower than conventional central heating you need significantly larger heat transfer surfaces from either radiators or underfloor heating. You need a reasonable plot size to accommodate the coils outside, boreholes can be pricey. it's best to have trickle heating on for extended periods, rather than on/off as we are used to in U.K. Not really economically viable compared to conventional systems. So unless you have no access to gas it's not really a starter at the moment.Their time will come especially if you consider micro generating the electricity on site. You'd make more financial gains on your listed building by optimising heat loss e.g. Insulation etc.
Loads of stuff on internet if you search around.

Thanks pal.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.