Pneumonia

If you say so
If you don't believe me perhaps you will believe the British Thoracic society Guidelines
https://www.nature.com/articles/pcrj201014

''Diagnosis and decision on hospital referral in primary care is based on clinical judgement and the CRB-65 score. Unlike some other respiratory infections (e.g. acute bronchitis) an antibiotic is always indicated when a clinical diagnosis of pneumonia is made''

I would love to meet the Doctor who can reliably tell them apart.
I know plenty of medics who wouldn't. We have an antibiotics crisis, not a single medic I know would prescribe antibiotics for a pneumonia until tests are conclusive there is also some very specific differences between viral and bacterial too. Infection markers look different in viral pneumonia for a start. If, as Karen says, they are at deaths door then they would give a broad spectrum Abx but that's the only time they would prescribe blind and that's because viral pneumonia rarely has people at deaths door so there is a huge likelihood it would be bacterial.

Last edited:
Sigh
GP's treat a lot of pneumonias in the community empirically with antibiotics.

I didn't say Drs wouldn't, I said there shouldn't be a single Dr who would. The issue we have with antibiotics is because some, not all, GPs do this. They shouldn't, just like hospital Drs won't.

If you don't believe me perhaps you will believe the British Thoracic society Guidelines
https://www.nature.com/articles/pcrj201014

''Diagnosis and decision on hospital referral in primary care is based on clinical judgement and the CRB-65 score. Unlike some other respiratory infections (e.g. acute bronchitis) an antibiotic is always indicated when a clinical diagnosis of pneumonia is made''

Unless the clinical diagnosis is due to a virus.

I know plenty of medics who wouldn't. We have an antibiotics crisis, not a single medic I know would prescribe antibiotics for a pneumonia until tests are conclusive there is also some very specific differences between viral and bacterial too. Infection markers look different in viral pneumonia for a start. If, as Karen says, they are at deaths door then they would give a broad spectrum Abx but that's the only time they would prescribe blind and that's because viral pneumonia rarely has people at deaths door so there is a huge likelihood it would be bacterial.
Don't know how many Medics you know mate but this is simply not true.

Happy to report I am in fact still alive, having got out of hospital this morning. Still feel like shit and still not really any the wiser as to what was wrong with me (some foreign form of flu is apparently most likely), but whatever infection it was seems to have mainly passed.
Damn. Had you on the sweepstake.

I didn't say Drs wouldn't, I said there shouldn't be a single Dr who would. The issue we have with antibiotics is because some, not all, GPs do this. They shouldn't, just like hospital Drs won't.
Afraid this isn't true. No A&E doctor is waiting for conclusive results as to viral or bacterial pathology, they're getting a chest X-ray & a set of bloods because they come back quickly, then if there's evidence of infection antibiotics will be given - no one will be waiting for cultures as there's simply no time for that. They'll use scoring systems (i.e. CURB-65) & clinical experience to guide where the patient then goes (i.e. home/admission).

Afraid this isn't true. No A&E doctor is waiting for conclusive results as to viral or bacterial pathology, they're getting a chest X-ray & a set of bloods because they come back quickly, then if there's evidence of infection antibiotics will be given - no one will be waiting for cultures as there's simply no time for that. They'll use scoring systems (i.e. CURB-65) & clinical experience to guide where the patient then goes (i.e. home/admission).

Correct.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.