Computer/Internet Privacy Tips

Installing Linux wasn't anything to do with privacy issues or concerns. It was more for security and customisation.

Installing Linux wasn't anything to do with privacy issues or concerns. It was more for security and customisation.
It's tangentially related in the - I don't trust any corporation sense - I insist on installing open source software as the only means of protecting my privacy.

Maybe some people install it for that. I didn't. You could build your own OS, but you'd still be vulnerable to privacy breaches. There is no such thing as 100% privacy regardless of the methods you use. And I've used shed loads (proxychaining, TOR, VPN, all three combined).

Just as a small update - I've dropped Brave due to some concerns in the way it is attempting to monetise advertising revenue and instead have switch to PaleMoon.

PaleMoon is probably the most privacy oriented browser on the market today but it's not really for everyone. It is a fork of FireFox from before the mental changes happened and has been constantly developed since, but it might feel a little old school to some.

It's open source and operates under the Mozilla Public License, establishing its brand as strict adherence to web standards with an emphasis on security and privacy. It also has a small number of addons in its addon store that are useful in these areas.

Also, it has a great name!

https://www.palemoon.org/

Just as a small update - I've dropped Brave due to some concerns in the way it is attempting to monetise advertising revenue and instead have switch to PaleMoon.

PaleMoon is probably the most privacy oriented browser on the market today but it's not really for everyone. It is a fork of FireFox from before the mental changes happened and has been constantly developed since, but it might feel a little old school to some.

It's open source and operates under the Mozilla Public License, establishing its brand as strict adherence to web standards with an emphasis on security and privacy. It also has a small number of addons in its addon store that are useful in these areas.

Been on brave since you mentioned it and it works great for 95% of sites but some you have to drop the shields to get them to function right which can be a pain.

I also use Brave and have done for a while. Palemoon causes me a few issues, firstly it's a Mozilla/ Firefox fork and a derivative of Gecko which sets off small alarm bells and secondly they have had a few security issues with their downloads judging by the website.

Is it secure? Is it far removed from Firefox?

Hi @Damocles thanks for this thread, really useful. I find the performance trade off with vpns (yes I use Nord paid one) a nuisance and it seems to choke my connection particularly when it comes to streaming. Anything to be done in settings or is this just the price for rerouting through multiple servers to gain privacy?

I use Brave and switched my email to Proton. I was already using NordVPN. I don't use Facebook.

I'm so happy I am doing all this as I just finished watching The Great Hack.

Is Tor browser any good, thought its meant to be good for privacy and such like

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.