The VW emissions fiasco

Bill Walker

Team supported
City
I just heard a report on the radio that some eminent scientists have calculated that approx 1200 people will die prematurely in Europe due to the extra diesel pollution emitted from these vehicles, if you extrapolate this for a worldwide figure you could be talking about 4 or 5000 people.

http://news.mit.edu/2017/volkswagen-emissions-premature-deaths-europe-0303

What do you think should happen to these people responsible for the lies and cheats all in the name of increased sales ?

I think in general, it should be easier to bring criminal charges against individuals for things they do when in charge of big companies. So often, the punishment is a fine for the company itself, often after the people actually responsible have long since retired (or died, which you can't do a lot about). Did anyone from the tobacco industry ever face criminal charges?

Surely this only applies if the vehicles were bought as a direct result of the claimed emissions figures. If those vehicles would have all be bought anyway then then there are no additional emissions and no additional deaths.
The software was there to cheat a test. The vehicles would have still been road legal without it, though in some countries it might have led to higher tax.

In USA anyone who bought one got compensation, yet in the U.K. they got fuck all, typical rip off. Britain.

In USA anyone who bought one got compensation, yet in the U.K. they got fuck all, typical rip off. Britain.

I gave my details (VW golf diesel) to a legal firm to pursue a no win / no pay group action. I saw it as nothing to lose putting in a claim.

I just heard a report on the radio that some eminent scientists have calculated that approx 1200 people will die prematurely in Europe due to the extra diesel pollution emitted from these vehicles, if you extrapolate this for a worldwide figure you could be talking about 4 or 5000 people.

What do you think should happen to these people responsible for the lies and cheats all in the name of increased sales ?
Sad one should die before their time, unless they are truly bad people, but in the scheme of things 1200 people out of a population of 741.5 million is like a grain of sand on a beach.

I don't condone VW's shenanigans but assuming 1200 will die early (and are we certain this is the only contributing factor) isn't really a news story. It, to me, is more of a manufactured crisis type of thing.

I think they deserve criminal charges, prison time, and a massive fine (which I believe they have already received). Although they had a team of lawyers and experts calculate what the fine would be and compared that to the money they would make and still went ahead as they believed it would still be financially lucrative... it was... the fuckers.

I have one and that is not true. I was asked to take my Passat in to the dealership, they allegedly 'fixed it' and when it was returned i was given a box which contained; a pen, an umbrella and a key ring. True story.

Interesting choice of music for this ad.
Notice the music starts when the VW shows up in the advert, you can clearly hear the words “fake records”. As in fake emission records, nice little subliminal by VW.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.