Riyad Mahrez - 2018/2019 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if you look closely there's a pattern that's emerged with pretty much every City attacker under Pep at some point. Before Pep showed up/they were signed by Pep, they were these extremely high skill players with technical potential to rival the best.

But after decent starts, they all went through spells of losing that flair, subsequently becoming weaker players for us. However, almost as if by design, these periods coincide with these players becoming more functional for us; they start developing into better players for the team.

Then, later on, they start to come back out of their shell and now are both functional to the team and exciting flair players like you thought they were.

Basically, I'm pretty sure Pep has them cut out a lot of the super-exciting stuff until he's sure they understand and are able to play the right way. Then they're back on it.

Sterling being the prime example, but Sané, Bernardo, Jesus, Aguero (to an extent), and somehow Fernandinho have all gone through or are still going through this process. There were even signs Mendy was cutting out his more attacking elements in favour of functional play too prior to his injury.

I think whilst Mahrez adapts we're not going to see the full him. Think about how many times he's probably had to ask himself, 'Do I do my thing or Guardiola's thing?' when in a good position. That's not what a player in full flow probably has to worry about.

I can't say for certain that he'll work out. But given the trends that seem to reoccur in this squad I think we should give him time.
Agree with all the above, plus we're still adjusting to Mahrez as a team, he plays the position a lot differently to Sterling and Bernardo.

I’m happy to give him a seasons patience. It is frustrating though as our only season and think we all thought he was gonna be almost like Salah. He had a good track record and reputation and thought with him coming to a team like us he should double or triple that. To push the other players. Just going through the rut all go through when they join us.

Had the chance to excel last night. But produced yet another uninspiring performance especially when out wide. Seems so predictable when he is on the wing aside from one nice assist for Gabby in the second half. Other players didnt seem to have the confidence in him especiallly in the first half when he seemed to hardly touch the ball. Obviously keen to get involved and often moved more central as the game went on.

I really don't get the hate for Mahrez - he's class. He's not gifted with the pace of Sterling/Sane - so he's going to try to beat his man - most often - one-on-one by dribbling past him. Frequently this works.

Against Burton he:
1) Had a ball played directly over his head when he was in the box and didn't control - this sort of pass is very difficult to bring down; still, he made a great run and had he brought the ball under control he probably would have scored;
2) Scored - but was offside;
3) Damn near produced a wonder goal, improvising with a defender right on him.

He's a fantastic option that allows us an alternative to our favoured attack.He's brought an extra dimension to our team and allowed rotation without a noticeable drop in quality.
He may just be trying too hard to impress at the minute which may be affecting his natural game and his decision making,that will change when he's more comfortable with his surroundings.

Had the chance to excel last night. But produced yet another uninspiring performance especially when out wide. Seems so predictable when he is on the wing aside from one nice assist for Gabby in the second half. Other players didnt seem to have the confidence in him especiallly in the first half when he seemed to hardly touch the ball. Obviously keen to get involved and often moved more central as the game went on.
Lol

He's a really good player he's showing in glimpses what we will get out of him after he over comes what I believe to be nerves at moving to a big club.

I really don't get the hate for Mahrez - he's class. He's not gifted with the pace of Sterling/Sane - so he's going to try to beat his man - most often - one-on-one by dribbling past him. Frequently this works.

Against Burton he:
1) Had a ball played directly over his head when he was in the box and didn't control - this sort of pass is very difficult to bring down; still, he made a great run and had he brought the ball under control he probably would have scored;
2) Scored - but was offside;
3) Damn near produced a wonder goal, improvising with a defender right on him.

Where do you get the hate thing from?? Its an objective observation on a player that we broke our tranfer record for and who was playing against a third tier opposition. Im astonished you thought he was class last night?. Out wide he is so predictable. He had a couple of good moments when he moved infield as you mention. But ask him to beat his man or put a decent ball into the box and he invariably cuts back inside and passes sideways. He seems to have lost his confidence and currently isn't a patch on Sane or Sterling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.