Andy Murray to retire

But he did say this:

'The journalist said to me 'So Andy are you going to be supporting Scotland in the World Cup?', knowing that Scotland hadn't qualified and he started laughing. "So he asked me who I would be supporting in the World Cup, and I said 'Anyone but England.'

And once again, as the journalist involved pointed out time and again, that was in response to him and Henman taking the piss out of Scotland not being in the World Cup, laughing at him and saying "who are you going to support then?". It was a joke, of the kind that happens all the time.

But it's entirely reasonable to point out that a couple of times on this thread the Paraguay shirt thing has been mentioned despite being entirely untrue. How is this remotely fair?

Best British Sportsman of his generation.

The fact he performed at such a remarkably high level in the era with potentially the three best players of all time speaks volumes for his ability, drive and will to succeed.

Some having a pop at him in this thread for throwaway comments years ago need to give your head a wobble. Honestly, who gives a flying fuck?

Been lucky to meet him a few times, just through a mate who supports Hibs like he does.

A nicer guy you couldn't wish to meet and despite not knowing me from Adam, sorted me out with tickets at the O2 Masters for a couple years.

Guardiola is also one of his heroes, too!

Traumatised in his childhood, left the UK to nurture his talent in Spain because he could see Nadal had better practice partners, he will be a Sir by this time next year, no doubt.

But he did say this:

'The journalist said to me 'So Andy are you going to be supporting Scotland in the World Cup?', knowing that Scotland hadn't qualified and he started laughing. "So he asked me who I would be supporting in the World Cup, and I said 'Anyone but England.'

I don't particularly like him but I would have said the same about Scotland if they had qualified.

And so would I.
But as a very famous sportsman to say it in public when the majority of your fan base and support is English is just a little bit
of a faux pas at the very least...

As an aside, it's why our sportsmen and women are so boring in their public pronouncements - they get leapt on and their words twisted the moment they say anything off the cuff. If you were them, wouldn't you respond to everything with a dull "one game at a time", "fully respect what they are doing" anodyne answer?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.