C86 and 80's indie

it was released again in cd version by cherry red records including 50 bonus tracks

C86 – THE DELUXE EDITION (3CD Boxset) - Cherry Red Records

if you liked the C86 some of these are worth a listen

My C86 tape got eaten by the car stereo about 15 years ago and I was distraught, but then I got the CD boxset at the C86 reunion gig about 4 years ago. That was a great evening, with The Wedding Present headlining. The Chesterfields were really good too. I wish I'd bought the C86 t-shirt.

There were so many jangly guitar bands in the early/mid 80's, and then they got blown out of the water by acid house. It was like the extinction of the dinosaurs. I suppose they just re-invented a few years later with the shoe gazers and Madchester.

Last edited:
Wow, didn't know C86 came on vinyl. That must be a real collectors item. "Therese" by The Bodines is the best track on the C86 album.

I got a few free tapes from NME and got a punk one, which sounds like the one you mention. It definitely had Part Time Punks on it, and my fave was The Slits "Typical Girls".
Just googled it, the punk one was called 'Pogo-a-gogo'
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pogo_A_Go_Go!

Just looked at the whole track listing and had forgotten some of the great tracks that were on there - Velocity Girl certainly is one of the best.
Interesting how Madchester and acid changed the style in bands like Primal Scream and Soup
Dragons.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/C86

and the Fire Engines

Postcard Records, I think the label was called, in Glasgow.

A few years ago I got a boxset called "Scared to Get Happy", which traced the history of 80's indie in 5 CD's. There's some great stuff on it, and a bit of dross too.

IMO, the best record to come out of that era was "I am a Wallet" by McCarthy (who featured on C86). It's a fab piece of 80's political pop with some very catchy tunes. Again I had it on tape (with the Brilliant Corners on the other side), but lent it to someone and never saw it again, and then a few years ago got it on CD from Cherry Red.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.