Doom and Gloom

if you think you’ve seen economic disruption from automation, for instance, just wait
giphy.gif

We used to have 4 car manufacturers here in Oz, Ford, Holden, Mitsubishi & Toyota, now we have none, all manufacturing gone to Asia where its miles cheaper.

I think JLR is using Brexit and Diesel as an excuse to shift manufacturing to somewhere much cheaper.
100%

Appreciate the thoughts from a fellow SB. ;-)

This is not my first restructure, either, but a unique one as they go for reasons I can’t talk about. I’ve managed to survive all so far, thankfully, but that run with end eventually.

Among the business trends I was referring to in my original post were technological changes (if you think you’ve seen economic disruption from automation, for instance, just wait), so agree there. But globalisation is an age old force, nothing novel or unforeseen there, so I wouldn’t count it among the accelerants. I was speaking about acceleration of workforce displacement/underutilisation, though, which will be a major challenge.

We’re in for a ride, and those that adapt best are of course nearly always those that manage to survive (though, not necessarily thrive, depending on the circumstances)—it’s been my guiding principle all of my life, as I am sure it has been yours. I don’t advocate “railing against it”, as that’s just shouting at the wind. I do think working to mitigate some of the abhorrent effects of the disruption is not only needed but a duty for those that are in a position to do so, though.

I shared the bit about the restructure as it is recent, instructive, and indicative of what is to become even more frequent than in the past, so in line with my “doom” prognosis. I also wanted to highlight how these events may be more destructive than in recent times.

I know several very skilled, extremely competent, highly educated older people who were let go in the last restructure in 2017 that still have not been able to find work making anything near their previous salaries (which has been devestating to them and their families). They have tried to set themselves up to be adaptive, but there are other forces creating barriers to entry for them that they cannot adapt to (namely that recruitment skews heavily toward young people and there are actually fewer positions available after the various restructurings as entire jobsets are being replaced with automated systems). Some might argue this is the same as the industrial revolution but there is a lot of evidence it is actually very different from a job/value creation standpoint. Many of those that were let go now work on short-term contracts (another practice that is going to become more common in every industry, regardless of the role/work) with little to no benefits; in many ways it is a practice intended to exploit their desperation. And those working in the USA (wish I had never accepted the position that took me here, but that’s different discussion) just hope they do not get injured or sick as that would likely mean financial ruin.

As far as the Brexit thread is concerned, I try to stay clear of it these days; there’s too much nonsense and anger from both sides to have a decent, evidence-based discussion.

All of that said, I think I also posted because I’ve been in a bit of a bad place as of late, and yesterday’s events took me further down, so wanted to get some of it out for discussion. BM is (save the Politics subforum) usually a decent place to do that, as we’re all generally upstanding blues looking to support each other.
Excellent post, SB. I was being a bit of an old cynic, as you might have guessed. Some of this stuff is beyond our control but some is self-inflicted. I can recall U-turns within the same financial services company involving decentralisation, then, on change of CEO, centralising again. Each change entailed considerable “re-engineering”, cue job casualties. I also worked with an in-house sales force numbering many thousands that eventually dwindled to zero. Earlier in my career I worked in manufacturing industry, which eventually fell victim either to changing consumer preferences or to competition from cheaper countries.

Luckily I’m no longer in that loop, being (largely) retired.

Anyway, good luck mate. There’s no harm whatsoever in unloading your frustrations on here. (But do avoid the political forum if you want to retain a semblance of sanity!)

Last edited:
Excellent post, SB. I was being a bit of an old cynic, as you might have guessed. Some of this stuff is beyond our control but some is self-inflicted. I can recall U-turns within the same financial services company involving decentralisation, then, on change of CEO, centralising again. Each change entailed considerable “re-engineering”, cue job casualties. I also worked with an in-house sales force numbering many thousands that eventually dwindling to zero. Earlier in my career I worked in manufacturing industry, which eventually fell victim either to changing consumer preferences or to competition from cheaper countries.

Luckily I’m no longer in that loop, being (largely) retired.

Anyway, good luck mate. There’s no harm whatsoever in unloading your frustrations on here. (But do avoid the political forum if you want to retain a semblance of sanity!)
Thanks for the encouragement, it is appreciated.

And it sounds like you could write quite an account of corporate malpractice and incompetence!

Ever thought of doing just that? I’m not sure I am necessarily representative of a profitable market, but I would definitely be interested in reading it.

I get the feeling that many employers are going to use Brexit as an opportunity for change and not in a good way for many people.

Thanks for the encouragement, it is appreciated.

And it sounds like you could write quite an account of corporate malpractice and incompetence!

Ever thought of doing just that? I’m not sure I am necessarily representative of a profitable market, but I would definitely be interested in reading it.

Haha. I’m probably better sticking to writing shit posts on Bluemoon.

I wouldn’t put it all down to malpractice or incompetence, to be fair. Some is simply down to a changing world. Like who would want to buy asbestos products nowadays? Or why not import steel from the Far East? And some of what I mentioned was the result of radical regulatory change.

On a personal level, it’s a case of trying to be nimble and marketable enough to move on at the right time. Easier said than done for many of us!

Although more or less retired now, I do a bit of freelancing with emerging digital companies. That brings home just how quickly newcomers can emerge and established companies go down the shitter. “Disruptive technology” is the buzz phrase. Yet one or two of these shooting stars will themselves have vanished in five years’ time.

I also keep myself busy on voluntary projects.

If I do write that book, I’ll be sure to send you a signed first edition. “To SB with love from SB” :)

With the news today about the car industry job losses and the big stores not having what they call a good Xmas with profits down on this time last year, are we heading towards another collapse along with the brexit fuck up.
China car sales are down as well (biggest growth market for Jag). The industrial world is headed for a recession.

And how many people do you think did even half of their Xmas shopping in stores?
Hopefully that will lead to some much needed correction in business rental rates.

I get the feeling that many employers are going to use Brexit as an opportunity for change and not in a good way for many people.
And I suspect that will be the case whether or not Brexit happens at all. ..

Haha. I’m probably better sticking to writing shit posts on Bluemoon.

I wouldn’t put it all down to malpractice or incompetence, to be fair. Some is simply down to a changing world. Like who would want to buy asbestos products nowadays? Or why not import steel from the Far East? And some of what I mentioned was the result of radical regulatory change.

On a personal level, it’s a case of trying to be nimble and marketable enough to move on at the right time. Easier said than done for many of us!

Although more or less retired now, I do a bit of freelancing with emerging digital companies. That brings home just how quickly newcomers can emerge and established companies go down the shitter. “Disruptive technology” is the buzz phrase. Yet one or two of these shooting stars will themselves have vanished in five years’ time.

I also keep myself busy on voluntary projects.

If I do write that book, I’ll be sure to send you a signed first edition. “To SB with love from SB” :)
Would be a prize possession. I knew not all of it would be down to incompetence, but readers love a good story about a business debacle, mistake, or miscalculation, so that’s where the money would be. ;-)

I’ve been brought up in that ‘startup culture’ you describe, and have the savings and scars to match. I may actually want to engage you at some point for a “In the Trenches” event about the trials and travails of market entry and expansion I am looking to put together later this year, if you’re available then.

And funny you should mention steel, there’s a bit about Donald Trump’s affiliations to Evraz (majority owned by none other than Roman Abramovich) that I am currently researching (completely unaffiliated with my work). It would explain (among many other actions he has taken) quite a bit about why Trump wants the $5+ billion for a “border wall” that he recently stated could easily be steel slats.

I am trying to substantiate a few bits of info before making a claim, though.

Last edited:
Would be a prize possession. I knew not all of it would be down to incompetence, but readers love a good story about a business debacle, mistake, or miscalculation, so that’s where the money would be. ;-)

I’ve been brought up in that ‘startup culture’ you describe, and have the savings and scars to match. I may actually want to engage you at some point for a “In the Trenches” event about the trials and travails of market entry and expansion I am looking to put together later this year, if you’re available then.

And funny you should mention steel, there’s a bit about Donald Trump’s affiliations to Evraz (majority owned by none other than Roman Abramovich) that I am currently researching (completely unaffiliated with my work). It would explain (among many other actions he has taken) quite a bit about why Trump wants the $5+ billion for a “border wall” that he recently stated could easily be steel slates.

I am trying to substantiate a few bits of info before making a claim, though.

Not sure if I can help but feel free to PM me when the time comes.

Donald may have his little foibles (!) but he appreciates his support from the rust-belt.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.