Doom and Gloom

Would be a prize possession. I knew not all of it would be down to incompetence, but readers love a good story about a business debacle, mistake, or miscalculation, so that’s where the money would be. ;-)

I’ve been brought up in that ‘startup culture’ you describe, and have the savings and scars to match. I may actually want to engage you at some point for a “In the Trenches” event about the trials and travails of market entry and expansion I am looking to put together later this year, if you’re available then.

And funny you should mention steel, there’s a bit about Donald Trump’s affiliations to Evraz (majority owned by none other than Roman Abramovich) that I am currently researching (completely unaffiliated with my work). It would explain (among many other actions he has taken) quite a bit about why Trump wants the $5+ billion for a “border wall” that he recently stated could easily be steel slats.

I am trying to substantiate a few bits of info before making a claim, though.
Worth looking into Carl Icahn, AK Steel and Nucor as well.

Worth looking into Carl Icahn, AK Steel and Nucor as well.
I’m also looking in to AK Steel, Nucor, and UC Rusal (Deripaska) — Icahn may be a little outside the focus of my research for now, but I’ll keep him in mind.

There are a couple of things that may (pun intended) touch on conservative/UKIP/labour affiliations, as well.

Last edited:
I work in Financial Services and I’m not overly confident at the moment although it’s nowhere near as bad as 2008/09. The global economy is slowing but still growing. The so called experts are saying no recession until late 2020, possibly 2021. They are often wrong but global growth is still reasonably steady with signs of slowdown. Central Banks can always pump more money in if they want to!

Could be worse, we could work in the US for the government and be without pay this month!

I work in Financial Services and I’m not overly confident at the moment although it’s nowhere near as bad as 2008/09. The global economy is slowing but still growing. The so called experts are saying no recession until late 2020, possibly 2021. They are often wrong but global growth is still reasonably steady with signs of slowdown. Central Banks can always pump more money in if they want to!

Could be worse, we could work in the US for the government and be without pay this month!
The biggest concern is we do not have the fiscal emergency response cushion we had in 2008 — it is one of the reasons the BoE, Fed, and ECB are so hesitant to stop raising discount rates and ease support/prop policy right now: they know we need to get back to a state where they can actually mitigate a recession when (not if) it comes, otherwise it could spiral in to something far worse.

Spoke with a few MIT economists the other day and their biggest worry is the next downturn coming this year, as although we have had a robust economic recovery, most central backs no longer have much room to manoeuvre with fiscal policy, and we’ve generally depleted ‘bad times’ cash reserves across the board (public and, in some cases, private). The slowdown in growth of the Chinese markets (and the likely considerable slowdowns of the USA and European markets, as well) are also making everyone very nervous.

We cant mass produce cars in this country any more, probably since the 70's. Jaguars have lost their identity and not so long ago every sheep/hill farmer round here had a Landy. I now see those guys driving Ford Rangers, Isuzi, toyota, and mitsubushi pick ups. Land rover has shot itself in the foot regarding the Defender. A market they will struggle to get back when the new so called Defender replacement finally makes its debut.

On top of that they are shitty yet very expensive cars, I would never buy a Jaguar or Land Rover, customer service is very bad over here and these cars have a habit of breaking down/bits falling off them, after that they are expensive to maintain. Why would you do that to yourself ?
My mates diesel Discovery vibrates so bad when the engine is ticking over the screws in the dashboard unscrewed themselves lol.

Im not surprised those farmers near you are driving mainly Jap motors, they are reliable, pretty cheap by comparison. Toyota have sold bucketloads of Land Cruisers in the Australian outback because they just dont break down. Not many people out there these days would buy a new Discovery.

The biggest concern is we do not have the fiscal emergency response cushion we had in 2008 — it is one of the reasons the BoE, Fed, and ECB are so hesitant to stop raising discount rates and ease support/prop policy right now: they know we need to get back to a state where they can actually mitigate a recession when (not if) it comes, otherwise it could spiral in to something far worse.

Spoke with a few MIT economists the other day and their biggest worry is the next downturn coming this year, as although we have had a robust economic recovery, most central backs no longer have much room to manoeuvre with fiscal policy, and we’ve generally depleted ‘bad times’ cash reserves across the board (public and, in some cases, private). The slowdown in growth of the Chinese markets (and the likely considerable slowdowns of the USA and European markets, as well) are also making everyone very nervous.

I know the PMI index data around the world
Is becoming a concern. Markets have bounced a bit this last week or so but I think it may be temporary. Makes my job more difficult, that’s for sure.

I know the PMI index data around the world
Is becoming a concern. Markets have bounced a bit this last week or so but I think it may be temporary. Makes my job more difficult, that’s for sure.
Mine, too, though more indirectly.

Perhaps all of us blues should pool our money and buy a reasonably sized area in Canada (so it’s prime property as the earth heats up) and relocate, creating a City-focused utopian community? ;-)

On top of that they are shitty yet very expensive cars, I would never buy a Jaguar or Land Rover, customer service is very bad over here and these cars have a habit of breaking down/bits falling off them, after that they are expensive to maintain. Why would you do that to yourself ?
My mates diesel Discovery vibrates so bad when the engine is ticking over the screws in the dashboard unscrewed themselves lol.

Im not surprised those farmers near you are driving mainly Jap motors, they are reliable, pretty cheap by comparison. Toyota have sold bucketloads of Land Cruisers in the Australian outback because they just dont break down. Not many people out there these days would buy a new Discovery.

Dont they say that if you want to go into the outback, buy a Landrover. If you want to get back, buy a Toyota. Even the local garage near here agrees with your sentiments and these guys spend most of their time under offroad vehicles. Sad to say.....
Having said that, I swear ( or used to) by German engineering but this last 2 weeks 3 expensive items of machinery, German, have let me down and the fucking costs are eye watering.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.